Beersmith IBU calculation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In short no lol. It must be the profile set up of my grainfather equipment. I need to set up a new profile maybee or just wait for the grainfather online recipe builder which is due out soon. Although i would prefer to stay in beersmith. Anyone out there with a profile that works in beersmith 2.3.7?????

In short no lol. It must be the profile set up of my grainfather equipment. I need to set up a new profile maybee or just wait for the grainfather online recipe builder which is due out soon. Although i would prefer to stay in beersmith. Anyone out there with a profile that works in beersmith 2.3.7?????

The Grainfather add on profile works fine for me. Is that the one you're using?

:ugeek:No it not I used an adapted version which has been working fine until this recipe lol. The joys of software and IT.

Have you checked the estimate hop utilisation from whirlpool check box and the time associated to it in the equipment profile you're using? As you can cool almost instantly in a GF at this time of year I reckon if that's set high it'll be the source of your problem if it is ticked.

Just unticked the above and has bough the IBU down to 41 which is a lot more realistic for the amount of hops used.

Hopefully that will cure the problem!!!!

Thanks
Meirion

odd thing is, with my equipment set-up, ticking or unticking the box and having 3,30 or 300minutes whirpool time above 85c makes no difference to the 0 minutes IBUs.

God knows what going on TBH, What I don't understand is the difference between this brew and the others..... I just hope the kids have not been messing about with something on here, which is the most likely scenario .....

odd thing is, with my equipment set-up, ticking or unticking the box and having 3,30 or 300minutes whirpool time above 85c makes no difference to the 0 minutes IBUs.
It was a very recent feature (my version is 2.3.7). Is your Beersmith software up to date?

IBUs for a "steep/whirlpool" hop addition should be the same as a zero minute boil addition (as long as the "steep time" is the same as the configured "whirlpool time above 85C").

There is also "steep/whirlpool util factor" in Options/Bitterness and "Steeping Efficiency" in Options/Advanced. 15% in mine which I think is the default? These settings have an effect on non-zero minute hop additions but then the calculations are a bit more involved!

(EDIT: Apologies, the "whirlpool time above 85C" is also a setting in the Equipment Profile and probably overrides the same setting in global Options. And I guess the partnering setting "estimate boil hop util in whirlpool" in the Equipment Profile just turns all these attempts to judge the IBUs off.)

It is the new version 2.7.3. I have that whirpool above 85 ticked. Should it be?

What your profile set up for the grainfather

It was a very recent feature (my version is 2.3.7). Is your Beersmith software up to date?

IBUs for a "steep/whirlpool" hop addition should be the same as a zero minute boil addition (as long as the "steep time" is the same as the configured "whirlpool time above 85C").

There is also "steep/whirlpool util factor" in Options/Bitterness and "Steeping Efficiency" in Options/Advanced. 15% in mine which I think is the default? These settings have an effect on non-zero minute hop additions but then the calculations are a bit more involved!

(EDIT: Apologies, the "whirlpool time above 85C" is also a setting in the Equipment Profile and probably overrides the same setting in global Options. And I guess the partnering setting "estimate boil hop util in whirlpool" in the Equipment Profile just turns all these attempts to judge the IBUs off.)

I read somewhere (probably on here) that the human tongue can only taste up to about 80 or 90 IBUs anyway.

Reckon its still drinkable at that level? I stupidly rushed my last brew and had a guess at AA conversions for the recipe I was using and missed by a mile. Calculated after that the IBU is 86. When I tasted before the fermenter vessel it was pretty disgustingly bitter!

It is the new version 2.7.3. I have that whirpool above 85 ticked. Should it be?

What your profile set up for the grainfather
I'd say "yes". I guess it's an option because the author of Beersmith knows some people are going to not agree with these changes. (e.g. Look up philistine).

I do not own a "grainfather".

(PS: My previous post was really aimed at "TartanSpecial" hence why I quoted his post. You've already told us you have 2.7.3.).

Latest posts

Back