Before purchasing a Salifert test kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WM7793

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
Although fairly new to all grain brewing, and appreciating that it is more important to ensure good practise and hygene, I am considering looking at water quality treatment to possibly further improve my brews.

I live in Teesside, where the water is moderately soft (35mg/L), from which I understand from my limited knowledge of water treatment, is beneficial to bitter type ales which I prefer.

I would very much appreciate some help prior to diving in and purchasing a water test kit (alkalinity?), to check whether I am on the right track.

After consulting with my local water authority, I was given the following information.

Alkalinity 40 as HCo3
Calcium 35 mg/L
Magnesium 4.8
Sodium 6.15
Sulphate 54
Chloride 9.14
Carbonate CO3, I forgot to ask, but entered hardness value of 87.5 as CaCo3 into calculator and gave me figure of 19.67

Both Cations and Anions are equal in the calculator

I then put this into Graham's calculator, (including the hardness of 35mg/L and it came back with no CRS treatment, and some additions to Calcium Sulphate (Gypsum), Calcium Chloride, Magnesium Sulphate and Sodium Chloride. 9.19gms, 3.51gms, 1.35gms,and 2.2gms respectively for around 25L to be treated.

Question 1 Does this seem about right for moderately soft water?

Question 2 Would purchasing a Salifert kit still be beneficial?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Best regards,
WM7793

The beauty of a Salifert kit is you get a hell of a lot of tests from one kit. Mine is around 6 years old, I test around once a month, and still plenty left. Aleman will tell me off for not doing it every brew. For years my alkalinity was constantly the same until last year when it suddenly changed. So it worth sending a few pounds and testing.

Just beware that salifert kits don't last forever. If their the same ones as I use on my Marine fish tank the reagents have a best before date and become unreliable after then.

Diggerg said:
Just beware that saddlery kids don't last forever. If their the same ones as I use on my Marine fish tank the reagents have a best before date and become unreliable after then.

Just looked at my box January 2016.

The alkalinity of my water has steadily reduced from 75ppm as CaCO3 in September to 13ppm this week so it is worth testing regularly.

Thanks guys for your replies. It looks like I need a test kit to confirm alkalinity.

Does anybody have an answer to whether I am on the right track with respect to the Calcium Sulphate (Gypsum), Calcium Chloride, Magnesium Sulphate and Sodium Chloride additions, originally posted regarding my moderately soft water?

I blindly punched the numbers into Graham's calculator without really understanding the science behind it.

As I have read elsewhere on this forum, it is a little like witchcraft if you don't know what you are doing in this area.

Best regards,
WM7793

I use the Brewer's Friend water calculator on their website. You decide what salts to add but you can see the effect. You could plug all your figures in and see where that gets you. If you enter your grist it will estimate the mash pH.

Right, after purchasing the Salifert test kit and discovering I am a little short on Calcium Sulphate, (Gypsum) and one or two other minerals for bitters, I would really appreciate some help from the more experienced brewers to point me in the right direction for determining the procedures for obtaining the correct mash ph.

(I batch sparge using Beersmith volumes using two steps.)

Question 1. Do I treat the entire water? or is it advisable to treat just the initial water in the mash tun, and treat the batch sparge additions?

Question 2. What is the procedure for testing the ph of the mash in the coolbox and correcting if required.

Question 3. Can you recommend a suitable ph meter for the job, without spending a fortune. ie one costing around £50.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Best regards,
WM7793

In response to question 1 I would suggest that you download brunwater and have a look at that with your water figures.

I batch sparge like you and I treat both the mash water and the sparge water differently. Brunwater will give you the necessary additions for both.

It also provides an estimated mash pH as a result of the additions and the grainbill.

I haven't managed to check my mash pH so cannot answer your remaining questions but brunwater estimates my pH at 5.3 - 5.4 based on my additions so I am happy to go with that.

The beers I have made with the brunwater guidance have been great so far.

You can use calcium salts to lower the mash pH but this won't work with the sparge water. You need to add acid for this. When measuring mash pH you must cool the sample to room temperature even if your meter has automatic temperature correction.

Hi rpt, thank you for you reply and many thanks to the other posters too, for all your help.

I have now the required minerals to treat the water accordingly on my next brew. It will be very interesting to note the results, and see whether it affects beer haze and improves head retention.

rpt you mentioned that he calcium salts will not work with the sparge water, but what kind of acid is required for the sparge water to lower the ph?

Best regards,
WM7793

WM7793 said:
rpt you mentioned that he calcium salts will not work with the sparge water, but what kind of acid is required for the sparge water to lower the ph?

You should treat all the water you intend to use, use the forum calculator. This will then be used for both mash and sparge.

Just tested mine with a salifert. Come in at 9dKH (160.7ppm CaCO3). How does that compare with others. I'm near Colchester Essex.

Thanks everybody for your replies!

As it seems that the ph papers are non too reliable for testing of mash ph, what about a suitable ph meter?

Can anybody recommend one without spending a fortune? ie one not over £40/50.

Best regards,
WM7793

Diggerg said:
Just tested mine with a salifert. Come in at 9dKH (160.7ppm CaCO3). How does that compare with others. I'm near Colchester Essex.
If I remember correctly when I lived near Colchester the water report gave 320ppmCaCO3?. Who do you believe?

oldjiver said:
Diggerg said:
If I remember correctly when I lived near Colchester the water report gave 320ppmCaCO3?. Who do you believe?

Water out of your tap varies quite a bit, depending where you live, That's why using a Salifert kit to test for alkalinity is the most reliable practice. Since I've been testing my water (South Staffs) alkalinity has varied between 110 and 145ppm)

Latest posts

Back