belgian blond (overnight mash)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wendy1971

Regular.
Reaction score
Planning to make another great belgian beer on 14th Jan ive posted the recipe in case anyone would like a go at it. Will be mashing at 10pm and the sparge planned for 4.30am next morning. Lets hope the mash doesnt drop below 60 deg c :thumb:
leffe blond

Date:

Gyle Number:

Fermentable Colour lb: oz Grams Ratio
Pale Malt 5 EBC 9 lbs. 14.6 oz 4500 grams 50%
bohemian malt 5.9 EBC 8 lbs. 13.0 oz 4000 grams 44.4%
carabelge 5.9 EBC 1 lbs. 1.6 oz 500 grams 5.6%

Hop Variety Type Alpha Time lb: oz grams Ratio
Hallertauer Mittlefruh Whole 4.3 % 15 mins 0 lbs. 1.4 oz 40 grams 32%
Saaz Whole 3.3 % 70 mins 0 lbs. 1.4 oz 40 grams 32%
Tettnang Whole 4.3 % 15 mins 0 lbs. 1.6 oz 45 grams 36%

Final Volume: 25 Litres
Original Gravity: 1.076
Final Gravity: 1.018
Alcohol Content: 7.7% ABV
Total Liquor: 39.5 Litres
Mash Liquor: 22.5 Litres
Mash Efficiency: 75 %
Bitterness: 23.2493184087829 EBU
Colour: 15 EBC

4.30am! There's dedication. My last brew I attempted an overnight mash, mashed in at 65 at midnight, after dropping the kids at school I got back to find it at 53. Interestingly when I checked the FG today it had gone down to 1008! It still tasted ok though.
Sadly I also got increased efficiency so my anticipated 4.3% session pale has turned into a 5.6% short session pale.
Bugger :D

I know the feeling ! The last two brews I did were lagers that turned out stupidly strong by accident and the cider I made , well some of that....well :whistle:

Not a lot of good if you dont want to drink it ! :wha: :wha:

The thermobox will have extra insulation in the form of a tank jacket and also throw a quilt over too. Im up at 4.30am every day for work so its ok. Just got to order the grain etc and make a starter with the yeast in the fridge.

Less likely to suffer booze related cock ups at that timd. Though i'm sure i'm not alone in having a brewday continue to the early dawn...yes..sampling as i brew! Large espresso Wendy! i did a similar with captured chimay yeast, what do you plan?

we will be using white labs yeast wlp 550 belgian yeast make a starter a week before. As it ferments at 18 deg c no need for a really big starter. Just hope the mash temp doesnt drop below 60 deg c. Mark will do the sparge the next morning at 4.30am HLT set by plug in timer.

Its funny, i thought had cocked mine up, it tasted funny to me. Then I tasted Leffe for the first time in ages and it had the same strange edge taste to it. Glad I did'nt dump it! It was a slightly oxidised/metallic taste, do you know what I mean with Leffe, perhaps I'm describing it badly. It was after I had given most away that I realised that it was actually alot better than I thought it was! Maybe it had been immature? Anyhow, no more brewing for me until I have plumbed in a garage sink and drainage, my xmas pressie from mrs.moc, bless her. No more standing in the rain washing buckets! Hallebleedinglullia!

What's the thinking behind the long mash time Wendy?
I'd really like to give this a go but I've read that the Bohemian malt needs a stepped mash....which I'm not ready for :wha:

Latest posts

Back