Belgium Quad beer kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clives-online

Reaction score
Greetings,

I have seen several Dubbel and Tripel Belgium beer kits.

I have not seen any Belgium Quad beer kits?? Perhaps they go by another name?

Has anyone come across a Belgium Quad beer kit?

Regards,
Clive

A Tripel is a very light beer, while a Quad looks more like a Stout. Dark and full flavoured..

A Tripel is a very light beer, while a Quad looks more like a Stout. Dark and full flavoured..
Okay, steep some dark grains and add them to the beer kit to darken it.

Your difficulty will be in brewing a quad with good body and no off flavours from a kit if I’m being honest.

If you add a high percentage of sugars, don’t have temperature control and don’t remove chlorine from your water you may struggle. A well made Quads is down to mashing well (step mashing), water adjustment, yeast selection, pitching rates and temperature control

Hopefully there is a beer kit thats made specific to a quad 🍺

Tripel kit and good dark candy syrup that would normally be used in an AG recipe, to around 15% of the fermentable. Its caramelised sugar that makes them dark, not roasted malts. Quads, or other Belgian beers, shouldn't be full bodied.

I only brew kits and I've not seen anything marketed specifically as a Quad. Got Festival Dubbel on tap at the moment though which is very nice.

The trick is, to know what typically makes a Quad and then work backwards.

Typically, a simple grist of pilsner malt, mashed for fermenability. Dark caramelised sugar syrup added to the boil with either saazer style or golding hops earlier in the boil. All fermented with a characterful belgian yeast.

So you'd want a kit base that is 100% Pilsner or pale malt, lightly hopped with German or British hops. Add to that, some dark candy syrup, about 15%, aiming for an overall OG above 1.075. Then ferment with a Belgian Abbaye yeast.

There's a number of options.

Triple kit + Dark Candy syrup.
Strong lager kit + Dark Candy syrup and swap yeast.
Golden Ale kit + LME + Dark Candy syrup and swap yeast.
Dubbel Kit brewed short.

Latest posts

Back