Best pump for immersion chiller?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fore

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'd like to save water by recirculating ice water through an immersion chiller. From the selection of cheap ebay submersible pumps, which of the sizes would be best suited for the job? I'm thinking this one, but maybe it's overkill? Anyone with any experience?

Power consumptlon: 25W
Flow rate: 1600L/H (about 425GPH)
Outlet connection: 16mm / 13mm / 6mm
Delivery head Hmax.(m): 2.7
Dimensions: 90 x 63 x 82mm
Cable length: 180cm

Have a look at counter flow chillers. It's th route I'm taking, I was worried about water wastage too.

I looked into re-circulating the cooling water; +1 to the mag pump suggestion.
I bought a cheap pump from ebay and tbh I've seen more water spray up from a bicycle!

But seriously, counterflow chiller. Google DIY counterflow chiller and loads of guides pop up. Looks worse than it is.

I only use about 50l to cool 23l in my non pumped setup, is it really worth the extra energy a pump and ice would to save a small amount of water?

My main fear is summer, as last summer my tap water was 23 degrees (it might have been 25, can't remember), so it would take an age to reduce to pitching temp.

I read also that this approach significantly reduces chilling time, so less chance for infection.

I also pay quite a lot for my water use (metered).

To be honest I didn't get much further with this. The earlier suggestions seemed a little overkill just to push water through an IC for some minutes. The pump won't be a permanent fixture. I still lean towards a cheap ebay fish tank pump, most powerful to be safe. I could always lift the ice bucket if flow was poor.

Anyone with any experience who could warn me away from this plan, or confirm it as acceptable?

My main fear is summer, as last summer my tap water was 23 degrees (it might have been 25, can't remember), so it would take an age to reduce to pitching temp.

I read also that this approach significantly reduces chilling time, so less chance for infection.

I also pay quite a lot for my water use (metered).

To be honest I didn't get much further with this. The earlier suggestions seemed a little overkill just to push water through an IC for some minutes. The pump won't be a permanent fixture. I still lean towards a cheap ebay fish tank pump, most powerful to be safe. I could always lift the ice bucket if flow was poor.

Anyone with any experience who could warn me away from this plan, or confirm it as acceptable?

afaik the australians invented no-chill due to water shortages.

I no chill in my fermenter then pitch the following day as I feel wasteful using tap water to chill my brew. Usually it's not quite at pitching temp the next morning (last brew was at about 25C) so I put 5 frozen 500ml pet bottles in the brew to bring it down to pitching temp..

No-chill might be an option for you if the immersion chiller doesn't pan out

Back