Best way to cold crash???

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timtoos

Regular.
Reaction score
Cold crash and reducing O2 ingress question.

I have a lager just on diacetyl rest. Completion tomorrow and then intend to cold crash.

Its in a chronical FV and I have a glycol chiller to crash - but I am wondering the best way to crash cool and not cause oxidisation issues? If I crash what is the likely hood that enough O2 would be pulled in to cause an issue?

I also have a brite tank that I could transfer into to crash ad condition. However I ideally wanted to crash in the FV for at least 2 weeks to try and get loads of **** to drop out before brite tank racking.

What about purging the brite tank with CO2 and then connecting this to the FV? Is this just plain silly?

Advice?

TIA

I try not to worry too much. As long as it is not too disturbed the blanket of co2 in the fv will keep the o2 at bay.

That said my last brews have been fermented in a corny, so easy to ramp the pressure up to 20pso at the end of fermentation, topping up from the canister if needs be then crashing in the fv. From there I take a purged corny and the open the pressure release valve of the recieving/lower corny and give a blast of gas to the top corny to get things moving and then open the pressure release valve on the top corny. Syphons over pushing the co2 out as it goes. The o2 that follows the beer in to the top corny should not end up in the bottom.

But then I'm not as professional/scientific about this as soon, but I'm happy with my beer ;)

I used to fill a balloon up with OC2 and attach to the racking cane. Not sure if thats a good idea or not????

I put 10 or so PSI into my fermenter and cold crash. Its a Fermzilla 27ltr and in a fridge. I find the 10 psi just about does it. You end up with a few psi of positive pressure by the time its got to temp. Can you not pressurise with CO2?

As I was learning to brew and developing my process and equipment I used to just cold crash not doing anything to stop air entering the FB through the bubbler. I only brewed pale ales, bitter and mild at the time. Didn’t notice any oxidation problems. It’s only by reading about other techniques that I began CO2 collection in balloons for use during cold crash and also now for purging my King Keg before closed transfer, which I do for all my beers whether it’s necessary or not. Haven’t noticed any improvement in my beers as a consequence so wouldn’t get overly concerned unless you’re brewing a heavily hopped beer, which I’ve done once. Drunk it young. Drunk it quick (cos it was delish!). Didn’t have time to oxidise :laugh8:

Hi BB,
Thats exactly what I have done and also done the slow chilling method not ramp it down as fast as it will go.
Thanks all :cool:

Back