Best way to transfer from FV to PB

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andysbrew

Regular.
Reaction score
Could my brew be syphoned into pressure barrel from the fermenting bucket? I have no tap on my fermenting bucket.

Do I just use a jug?

Thanks

A syphon is ideal since you want to minimise the exposure to air at this stage.

If you get a syphon kit from a home brew shop they often come with a tube that has an upturned end or a cap on the end that minimises the likelihood of it picking up trubb from the bottom of the FV.

I use a DIY woodwork clamp to clamp the syphon tube to the side of the FV, start the syphon and leave it to drain.

Andysbrew said:
Would the FV have to be higher up than the PB as 40 pints is bloody heavy!

Yes the top of the keg must be below the bottom of the bucket, and when the sterile syphon is running drop the exit tube into the keg bottom.
23l is heavy but just about liftable, best to position a day or 3 in advance of transfer to let any disturbed sediment re-settle

40 pts weighs 40lb that is 75% of weight of a soldiers rucksack. Man up princess. On a serious note if your not happy lifting that weight get someone to help you.

This is what you need Andy.

-b-mobile-scissor-lift-table-with-folding-handle-b-br-small-model-txl150-br-capacity-150kg-214-p.jpg

johnnyboy1965 said:
40 pts weighs 40lb that is 75% of weight of a soldiers rucksack. Man up princess. On a serious note if your not happy lifting that weight get someone to help you.

.......Unless your a para, in which case its a considerable amount more ;)

My brew length is 120 pints which takes some careful and planned maneuvering but it is possible to to transfer from fv on the floor to a bottling bucket which is ends up on the counter on my own and with the use of a pump. :whistle:

i have a bad back, knees and hip but can still lift a full (25L max)fv/pb from the floor to a set of oak draws (2 foot max) in my kitcken. i wouldnt want to carry it far but if you lift right it shouldnt be a problem.

if you brew in a some where you can put a block and tackle up then you can always use it for lifting a biab/ fv/pb/

It's more a question of where to do it as I have a small kitchen.... Maybe the dining room table will take the weight.

What's the best way to sterilise siphon pipe as 15 mins is a long time siphoning sterilising fluid!!

Thanks

fill the tube and soak, what are u using that takes 15 mins to sanitise,

starsan is a popular no rinse asnitiser for use on clean euipment that needs 30 secs contact time.
in the long run it works out much cheaper than other things as u use so little and can save a mix for use again

and laundry oxi unscented, is the popular budget cleaner/soaker..

clean with oxi, rinse well, and spray/rinse with starsan. done.. cuts out a lot of work and worry and saves water ;)

krazypara3165 said:
johnnyboy1965 said:

.......Unless your a para, in which case its a considerable amount more ;)
All Para`s are gay, that's why they send us Booties in first......If you want the job doing properbly.....

This is news to me......... Starsan...never heard of it!
:oops:
I use Milton tablets/ fluid, this could save me some time....

:cheers:

Oddly, I went into my local homebrew shop this weekend and they had never heard of StarSan :? . Last time I asked for a no-rinse sanitiser I was presented with an oxi cleaner - which is just a cleaner.

It's not difficult to get a siphon tube in soak - just work the air out so it stays under the water and fully sanitises. To rinse, just run clean water through it.

Andysbrew said:
This is news to me......... Starsan...never heard of it!
:oops:
I use Milton tablets/ fluid, this could save me some time....

:cheers:
http://www.brewuk.co.uk/store/starsan8. ... wwodsj8AiA

if it goes cloudy your tap water has too high ph, so buy 5l of tesco ashbeck water for about a pound to make it up, for 5l u need a tiny 8ml.. and u can keep and reuse the 5l for brew after brew as long as it stays clear and has a ph of 3 or less. (ebay for ph test papers)...

Andysbrew said:
What's the best way to sterilise siphon pipe as 15 mins is a long time siphoning sterilising fluid!!

Thanks

:wha: :wha: Leave it in a bucket of steriliser for 15 mins.

This topic has pitched me over the edge and convinced me to buy my first lot of StarSan. Hoping it arrives in time for a bottling day on Sunday!

Maybe a thing for the future. I will use the rest of the Milton I have left first.

Thanks

Andy

Some of your questions are so elemental and basic, I wonder what research you've carried out before embarking on this homebrewing hobby. Your local homebrew shop will be a wealth of knowledge if it's anything like mine, and there are many books available which will take you through the stages. Try this one I got from the local library - HOME BREW BEER by Greg Hughes (ISBN 978-1-4093-3176-6) Using words like 'panic' and 'stressed' suggest you are going about this hobby like a bull in a china shop. It shouldn't be like that. But good luck with you initial brew......and do some bloomin' reading, eh?

Latest posts

Back