BIAB AG - Mish Mash

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew2Day

Reaction score
Had had bunch of grains and stuff hanging around so thought I'd do a 5L brew tonight.

My last AG came out great but I buggered up on the hops and it's so damn bitter I cannot drink it, which is a shame because it's got amazing head retention and body.

So I am gonna go with this:

500G Pale lager malt
250G Wheat malt
30G Crystal Malt (I assume this stuff is around 90L)
500G Light DME

20G Saaz for the last 15 min boil.

Safale 04 Yeast

No idea what this is gonna be like but hey!

20g of hops for only 5l? Isn't that a bit much?

Saaz are typically very low AA I think. OP: Someone will plug the numbers I'm sure but you might want to have a small 60m addition too. Organise to might end up with too little bitterness and a sweet brew. Though that might be what you want of course.

Very strong, very low IBUs:

Batch Size (L): 5.0
Original Gravity (OG): 1.075
Final Gravity (FG): 1.019
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 7.37 %
Bitterness (IBU): 12.2 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 75

0.500 kg Dry Malt Extract - Light (39.06%)
0.500 kg Lager Malt (39.06%)
0.250 kg Wheat Malt (19.53%)
0.030 kg Crystal 145 EBC Medium (2.34%)

20.0 g Saaz Pellet (3.6% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (4 g/L)

I would drop some DME and add some bittering hops. Depends what ABV and IBUs you want.

I calculated an IBU of approx. 25? Around the same a Pilsner?

I always add more grain or DME than needed because I usually lose gravity points because sometimes I end up not knowing where I've put a grain bag and dump the grains in the pot so when I get to the boil I've topped up with a little more water than I should and generally get lower gravity.

I think I've got some Hallertau to use as bittering.... I didn't get round to putting this on last night, fell a sleep lol.

Latest posts

Back