Birch Sap Wine Recipe???

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ingypingy2

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi Folks

Father in law was talking about a birch sap wine that he used to make!! Just wondering if any of you experts might have a recipe knocking about for something like this at all???

Thanks

Just under the forum banner on the right hand side it says “FAQ, Search, Members, User Control Panel”.

If you click on “Search” and enter “Birch” with results as topics you'll get this.

There's also a recipe in “First Steps”. If you haven't got a copy, buy one.

Edit:
PS: It is usually collected around March.

PPS: Why are you asking about Birch sap when there are no trees on Orkney? :wha:

Thanks Moley :) Just enquiring out of interest, there are a few trees up here (not many, granted, but I might get lucky and find one lol!!) :)

I used to make birch sap wine. My dad would bleed the trees on the banks of the river Spey in spring, I take five gallon back to Harry and ferment adding sugar in small lots till I had a snaps style drink. Not quite a wine but we liked it.

If you find any birch trees to harvest, give me a shout :pray:

I will do lol! :) Apparently there are some silver birch up here :thumb: just need to track the bleeding things down lol!! :) Keep thy eyes peeled....there ain't that many trees up here so it shouldn't be that hard to find them lol!! :wha: I'm guessing Binscarth might be worth a look lol!! :)

ingypingy2 said:
there ain't that many trees up here so it shouldn't be that hard to find them lol!! :wha: I'm guessing Binscarth might be worth a look
I read that and thought “Oh, where's that? The only copse I can think of is at Finstown”, so I dug out my OS map and found we're thinking of the same place.

I should explain for the majority that don't know the geography that it can get pretty breezy up that way, trees simply can't grow unless they are protected on all sides, and the ones that do are stunted, blasted and pathetic little things cowering behind walls.

It can be quite amusing watching birds flapping like crazy trying to get somewhere, but still actually going backwards.

Oh, and there are two main ports and centres of habitation, the ‘capital’ Kirkwall and the ‘second city’ of Stromness. All roads lead to Kirkwall .... or is that Stromness?

Orkney.jpg

I think that was kids pratting about rather than a council cock-up, but it did make the local newspaper.

Moley said:
ingypingy2 said:
there ain't that many trees up here so it shouldn't be that hard to find them lol!! :wha: I'm guessing Binscarth might be worth a look
I read that and thought “Oh, where's that? The only copse I can think of is at Finstown”, so I dug out my OS map and found we're thinking of the same place.

I should explain for the majority that don't know the geography that it can get pretty breezy up that way, trees simply can't grow unless they are protected on all sides, and the ones that do are stunted, blasted and pathetic little things cowering behind walls.

It can be quite amusing watching birds flapping like crazy trying to get somewhere, but still actually going backwards.

Oh, and there are two main ports and centres of habitation, the ‘capital’ Kirkwall and the ‘second city’ of Stromness. All roads lead to Kirkwall .... or is that Stromness?

Orkney.jpg

I think that was kids pratting about rather than a council cock-up, but it did make the local newspaper.

Hahaha Moley!! :rofl: You hit the nail on the head with your description there lol!! Finstown is indeed where I was thinking :) But, I have to say, I discovered a little known secret earlier this year.....there is in fact a little 'forest' out in the South Parish!! :idea: Might be worth checking out there too!! :)

P.S. All roads most definately lead to Kirkwall lol!! :D

2 trees :clap: near enough lol!! :D Actually, I was amazed at it's exsistence myself, it's a little area of land that someone has looked after well, a community garden type place, but despite the size of it, it's very dense woodland with a huge number of trees considering it's up here lol!! :) when I say 'huge' i mean there's prob a couple of hundred - that is a huge number for here lol!! :)

Back