Brewing my first batch of wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bengee

Reaction score
Hi,
Up to now I have been a novice beer brewer. However, I have just ordered a 6 bottle starter wine pack. Now I know nothing about making wine, but I thought I'd give it a go - that's why I'm starting with 6 bottles.
I have 2 fermenters, paddle, hydrometer, air lock etc - usually used for beer. Will this be ok for wine?

This should be fine

Alternatively you can get a plastic demijon for your 6 bottle batch for about £1.50 from your local supermarket. And, it comes with 5l mineral water free! 😉

IMG_1857.jpeg

technically you dont brew wine you ferment it but yes all your beer equipment will work for wine.

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/...ne-how-to-guide-and-recipes.49462/post-456519

this thread is alot of fun. yo can make very good wine very easily and its all very drinkable. i stopped beer brewing for a few years and switched to wine when there was no local hbs around.

blueberry wine is easy and great . fruit wines are good ( especially juice fruit wines) because yo are not a vintner, you dont have generations of experieince making wine from fresh grown grapes. but noone has generations of making juice wines from say pineapple cranberry juice. so yours will be at least as good as the best out there . lol

Last edited by a moderator:
@bengee if you use 5 litre spring water bottles you dont even need an airlock just screw the lid on then back it off until its loose allowing the CO2 out but nothing in some members have used a balloon with a pin prick in which has the advantage of showing activity.

1711194045197.png

Hi,
Up to now I have been a novice beer brewer. However, I have just ordered a 6 bottle starter wine pack. Now I know nothing about making wine, but I thought I'd give it a go - that's why I'm starting with 6 bottles.
I have 2 fermenters, paddle, hydrometer, air lock etc - usually used for beer. Will this be ok for wine?

It will be fine.

I have made a few wines now dead easy and some good recipes on here or just have a play good advice on here regards how much total sugar etc
I started making cider only difference I found was fermentation stopper and finings that had not used with cider

Back