Bit of a rant

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
global-warming-future-timeline.jpg
Sorry my mistake. I thought thermometers were a fairly recent invention didn’t know the dinosaurs or Neolithic man invented them. Silly me 🙄

I accept the point that this is not necessarily verified and so should be viewed with caution. However, I am a scientist and over the years have learned that scientists with expertise in a particular field usually speak something that approximates to the reality. The overwhelming consensus among climate scientists is that we are facing a considerable and damaging change in our climate that has its roots in human activity. Given the potential consequences of an irreversible change in the climate and the consensus that something along those lines is possible/likely, I think it is in our own interest and that of future generations to take this seriously and do what we can to ameliorate the situation and we should expect our Government to act similarly.
Is all science not theoretical ?

Is all science not theoretical ?
Science is theoretical in that you start with a theory and then test it, and based on your findings modify the theory to accept the knowledge that comes with the new data. As a result the theory should slowly move closer to the actual reality as the amount of knowledge and understanding increases. In the case of climate change the amount of knowledge and understanding is now considerable and so while the current theory is unlikely to be 100% correct it is probably a pretty good approximation. Under those circumstances I think it a good idea to listen to what the scientists are saying and act accordingly.

Act accordingly and do what exactly ?
I think there are small things that we can do but their impact will be limited. The main thing we can do is to expect and pressure our Government into making decisions which prioritise limiting climate change and where those decisions are sensible to accept them even if they may have a personal cost associated with them. As I said earlier, governments avoid making unpopular decisions, but if the people agree with and support a decision they will make it.

I think there are small things that we can do but their impact will be limited. The main thing we can do is to expect and pressure our Government into making decisions which prioritise limiting climate change
There is nothing we can do, i

The problem is we could do as much as we can and it would make little difference how are we going to stop the big polluters from carrying on?

1709657218613.png

1709656842955.png
1709656978471.png

Last edited:
The problem is we could do as much as we can and it would make little difference how are we going to stop the big polluters from carrying on?

View attachment 96550View attachment 96552
Agreed that the UK can do all it can and it will not affect the outcome on its own. However, by doing what we can, we act as a leader to show other nations what can be achieved and in doing so increase the pressure on them to follow suit. In addition, as the impacts of climate change increase the other nations will have to change and by acting now we will be ahead of the curve which may provide benefits to us as a country. Finally, if we fundamentally know it is the right thing to do and that we are going to have to do it eventually then shouldn't we just do it anyway?

There is nothing we can do, i will be making a difference some time in the next 10-15 years i will be adding to it when i hit the crem
A wise man said-
It’s not earth that’s in trouble it’s the people that live on it. Earth will be here long after we have gone the way of the dodo

Agreed that the UK can do all it can and it will not affect the outcome on its own. However, by doing what we can, we act as a leader to show other nations what can be achieved and in doing so increase the pressure on them to follow suit.

I believe we are now at 49 G7 conferences and we still have all the countries below still polluting the world, as the old saying goes you can lead a horse to water but you cannot make it drink!

1709659099503.png

Fortunately for the rest of us science doesn’t give two f*cks what climate deniers believe or just lack the capacity to understand.
Unfortunately for the rest of us our politicians are making matters worse and not better at the minute.

Fortunately for the rest of us science doesn’t give two f*cks what climate deniers believe or just lack the capacity to understand.
Unfortunately for the rest of us our politicians are making matters worse and not better at the minute.
It's not that we don't understand we do, but until the world clamps down on the big polluters as, the old saying goes, if nowt changes things will stop as they are.

It's not that we don't understand we do, but until the world clamps down on the big polluters as, the old saying goes, if nowt changes things will stop as they are.
That’s pretty much the point I was making.
Small differences cumulatively make a bigger difference. In the meantime, the more of us that make an effort, the more likely that change will come.

Latest posts

Back