Bittering Lesson needed.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pjam

Landlord.
Reaction score
I understand that higher alpha acids and a longer boil time make for more bittering, but by how much? is there a chart?
I could use THBF calculator, problem is now I don't understand what 'Utilization' refers to :wha: :wha: :wha:

I use the recipe calculator on Brewers Friend. Not sure how accurate it is, but it seems to take into account of fermentables in the wort, boil size etc. in the calculation when calculating IBUs.

Just a note here , use high AA% hops for bittering when possible because this helps to get a smoother bittering . Using lots of low AA% could cause a harshness to your beer .

pittsy said:
Just a note here , use high AA% hops for bittering when possible because this helps to get a smoother bittering . Using lots of low AA% could cause a harshness to your beer .

That's interesting pittsy, my last effort was just that, harsh. ........... I'll have to look at my latest recipe again, it's kinda upside down!

Pjam said:
pittsy said:

That's interesting pittsy, my last effort was just that, harsh. ........... I'll have to look at my latest recipe again, it's kinda upside down!
Your water can also cause harshness too ,
:sulk:

The highest AA hop I have is Citra at 14.8% .......... I had it down for dry hoping but perhaps it'd be good for bittering?

I wouldn't waste Citra on bittering myself, despite its high alpha, because it has fantastic aroma. You could do a single hop though, and use some for bittering.

pittsy said:

that's certainly not my experience, I've brewed a few Blonde ales using Hallertau as bittering at about 4% also Pilsners using Saaz at 3% (80g for 25IBU for example), not a problem. Obviously you use more hops with lower alpha hops, but no harshness for me anyway.

For big beers, say American IIPA's something like Warrior or Magnum at start of boil give a good neutral bitterness as a backbone that you can then add to with the late aroma hops.

Pjam said:
I understand that higher alpha acids and a longer boil time make for more bittering, but by how much? is there a chart?
I could use THBF calculator, problem is now I don't understand what 'Utilization' refers to :wha: :wha: :wha:

Check out Section 1 Chapter 5.5 of John Palmer's "How to Brew" website on Hop bittering calculations. It's pretty straightforward to do the Utilization and IBU calculations yourself using the equations he gives and a simple spreadsheet for your recipe. The results should be fairly similar to what you get from a web-based calculator.

Please correct me if I am wrong but just to complicate things there is a difference between IBUs and the percieved bitterness in the beer. I think this is where water treatment comes into play more and things like mash/FWHs.

Latest posts

Back