Boiler advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lobes

Reaction score
Howdy folks,

The AG brewery is nearing completion! I'm a little concerned about the boiler though. Due to the curve of the bucket, the kettle elements don't fit too snugly. I'm worried the water's gonna leak. Any recommendations on what I could use to seal the gaps?

I used nylon washers, think I bought them in B&Q, but had to trim them down a little to get the correct fit

BarnsleyBrewer said:
You got a pic of it?
I'll try and get one uploaded when I get back from work.

Sean_Mc said:
I used nylon washers, think I bought them in B&Q, but had to trim them down a little to get the correct fit
Looks like they might be the way forward to be honest. I'll post a pic later and double-check!

I did see some food grade sealant, but don't know if it was able to take rolling boil temps :wha:

homers brew said:
jamesb said:
You could always get a sheet of silicone from ebay and make your own washers.
Is a silicon baking tray from the supermarket the same?

People have used them for that, yes. Personally I find think they're a bit thin. I prefer about 2mm.

Have you actually tried it to see if it does leak?

Nice to meet you lobes!
:cheers:

Tony said:
Have you actually tried it to see if it does leak?

Nice to meet you lobes!
:cheers:
Not yet, but there's about a definite gap between the back of the element and the wall of the bucket. Didn't wanna risk screwing up the elements! Only an hr left of work, should have a pic up in a coupla hrs.

Nice to meet you too! :cheers:

Right, I've tried taking some pics but they've all come out really over-exposed and you can't really see anything!

I've also tested it with water......definite leakage!!

31bb3 said:
what size and dimension is the bucket also did you get the cheapo kettles

It's one of the Young's 25l fermenting bins and got 2 cheap kettles from Argos

Looks like the silicon washers could solve it

31bb3 said:
did you use the rubber washers that were inside the kettle
Er, not exactly! :( I definitely kept them when I took the kettles apart, but then when I came to fit the elements to the bucket (a couple of days later) they were gone. Now I know I kept them, and I know I'm not stupid enough to throw them away, but they were gone and I have no other explanation.

So I ordered some spare washers which fit fine, just not quite snugly enough with the side of the bin.

Sean_Mc said:
I'd buy some more kettles, then keep the elements as spares ;)

Sounds like an idea. I'll stop off at Argos on the way home tonight.

Cheers for the help guys! :thumb:

Latest posts

Back