DIY terracotta pot electric pizza oven build - Advice needed, please!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I watched this guy make Neapolitan pizza in his home by using an oven heating element and a dog bowl. It hit the all important 500c and as you can see, the pizza looks amazing.

It got me thinking about making something myself. I've built a few electric breweries in the past from scratch an am thinking this could be pretty similar as far as electrics are involved. I would really appreciate any feedback or ideas you may have that will help me along my way. I've put my burning questions in red. Thanks in advance if you can help me with any of these.

Here we go..

I bought 2 of these 36cm terracotta bowls. Plan is to have one on top of the other to create a clam shaped structure. I will need to add a hinge. What sort of hinge would you recommend here?
1685707804377.png

An element will be installed in the ceiling of the top bowl. I have 2.5mm² 3 Core Butyl Flex White cable left over from a brewery build so can use that along with a heavy duty plug. What is the highest watt element I can safely use on a 13a kitchen socket?

Back to the upper bowl. I've read that Terracotta is ok with temps up to 1000c. However, to be on the safe side, I was thinking about lining the upper pot with vermeculte tiles as the element will be housed in there. What are your views on this? Is it necessary?

A 12 inch pizza stone will sit flush along the bottom pot. there will be a 3cm gap around this. I feel that I have 2 options here in order to ensure heat flows underneath the pizza stone. 1. Install another lower watt element under there. 2. install an oven fan on the bottom of the pot (should fit no probs) and have the heat recirculating. What are your views here? Is there another option? I need the stone to reach approx 450c.

Now to discuss temp control. I'm thinking PID controlled. Have found K type probes that can handle 500c heat. What are your thoughts? Is PID overkill? Can I just use a 500c rated oven thermostat instead?

That's everything for now. Any advice welcome!

Thanks,
Floyd

Last edited:
I bought something like this a couple of years ago now:
KAPPLICO Pizza Oven/Pizza Maker - 1400W in Red, Low/High Slow Cook With Auto Keep Warm, 12-inch / 30cm, 2 Year Warranty KPIZZAPRO https://amzn.eu/d/bNNPqS2

Works well and cooks a homemade pizza in just a few minutes
Cheers. Need it to reach 450c - 500c to cook Neapolitan style pizza, though. The only decent thing on the market that manages those temps at the min is the Ooni Volt. Cost is £800.:eek:

Is it 230v where you are? We run 230/240 in NZ but do not have 13A fused sockets, rather have RCD protected 10/16/20A circuit breakers, sized depending on load requirements.

The 2.5mm cable will should be good for 20-30A.

P = VI so 230 x 13A is 2.9kW.

A 3kW element will be just too big (unless you operate at 240v, where it is still marginal) so a standard 2.4/2.5kW element is more likely.

And yes PID is overkill for a simple oven. No harm in it, but simple on/off should work fine...

Latest posts

Back