Bombay IPA Thing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alanywiseman.

Landlord.
Reaction score
Based on Sara Carters Bombay IPA, this is the plan for this weekend:

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 30.52 l
Post Boil Volume: 26.02 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.02 l
Bottling Volume: 21.31 l
Estimated OG: 1.056 SG
Estimated Color: 32.8 EBC
Estimated IBU: 57.1 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 60.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 65.2 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
6.55 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (30.0 EBC) Grain 1 97.0 %
0.20 kg Vienna Malt (10.0 EBC) Grain 2 3.0 %
11.01 g Centennial [10.30 %] - Boil 75.0 min Hop 3 11.3 IBUs
9.91 g Chinook [11.30 %] - Boil 75.0 min Hop 4 11.2 IBUs
7.71 g Amarillo Gold [9.80 %] - Boil 75.0 min Hop 5 8.3 IBUs
11.01 g Centennial [10.30 %] - Boil 45.0 min Hop 6 9.9 IBUs
8.81 g Amarillo Gold [9.80 %] - Boil 45.0 min Hop 7 7.6 IBUs
8.81 g Chinook [11.30 %] - Boil 45.0 min Hop 8 8.7 IBUs
40.00 g Centennial [10.30 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
40.00 g Chinook [11.30 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
30.00 g Amarillo Gold [9.80 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
2.0 pkg Nottingham (Danstar #-) [23.66 ml] Yeast 12 -

THe large grain bill is due to getting a brewhouse efficiency of 60% in my last brew. WHat is left of the hops may get through in as dry hops but I not decided yet.

I have been looking at trying to dial in my volumes etc and noticed that in Beersmith 2 the Grain absorption for BIAB is lower than conventional mash tun (0.5860 vs 0.9600 fl oz/oz grain). Can anyone enlighten me as to why this is the case?

That's a cracking beer. I did it last year and it would have been perfect if I hadn't under primed it. All those hops will also soak up a lot of wort (about 1.5L per 100g of hops) so try to factor that into your liquor calcs.

Have a good brew day.

alanywiseman said:
I have been looking at trying to dial in my volumes etc and noticed that in Beersmith 2 the Grain absorption for BIAB is lower than conventional mash tun (0.5860 vs 0.9600 fl oz/oz grain). Can anyone enlighten me as to why this is the case?

I get less wort absorption when BIAB compared to conventional three vessel. I assume because when I lift the bag out and leave it to drain the grain is a lot looser and allows more run off.

you won't be disappointed with this beer, I have 23L of it sitting in the FV to be bottled this w/e

I am really looking forward to brewing it and even more so that you are all saying it is so good. It is getting brewed for a stag party that I am organising to I do not think they will mind about the strength and I do not intend to come back with any of it :drunk:

Water on and grains ready.

edyza6eb.jpg

About half way through the boil now so thought I would post a few more pics.

gabejaba.jpg

Mash done

dega9a3u.jpg

Post mash out drain

y3a3u7uz.jpg

The 3 hop additions

pahe2emu.jpg

A lastly the start of the boil

Away to prepare the FV and deal with the spent grain. Pre boil SG was 1.049 so 3 points up and the volume seemed spot on so fingers crossed I hit my targets post boil.

The boil went without a hitch which was great but getting the wort out of the boiler was a huge problem. Due to the vast amount of hops it was tricking out. I decided to let it do it's thing but after 90mins I had 10L in the boiler. Syphoning didn't work as the hops clogged the syphon so I had to continuously move the hops from the filter resulting in a lot of break material in the FV, about 3L. I ended up with just over 20L at 1.060. Here are the rest of the pictures.

peduqyjy.jpg

Cold break forming while chilling

equgu3u7.jpg

0min hops added!

upu7ydyp.jpg

Filter clogged up after the first few litres

e3eqa5yh.jpg

Headed up with a lot of break material in the FV

tyruqyry.jpg

The muck left over

Fermentation is in full swing so I will update in about a week. Would love some tips on what to do when the filter clogs like it did for this brew.

I decided to check the SG on this as I suspected it had fermented out and it seems to have as it is down to 1.010 :shock: " packs of nottingham really went at it!

Going to leave it to a few days then I am thinking of dry hoping with 10g each chinook, amerillo and centennial then hitting it with a second batch of dry hops 3 days later then bottle 3 days after that. So that will be 30g for 6 days and 30g for 3 days before kegging.

SG 1.010 so racked this yesterday and dry hopped with 10g each of cenntinel, chinook and amerillo. I will then add anoth 10-20g of each againin about 3 days time with an aim to keg in about a week.

I brewed this too at the weekend and it is currently fermenting away nicely in my brew fridge at 20 degrees. This morning when I checked it was trying to escape from the bucket.

I liquered back a little though to 1.052 and eased back on the hops to 48 IBU's.

Planning to dry hop too after 5 days :)

I have large concern for this brew. It seems to be refusing to clear after dry hopping. I have fined it with kwik clear and it has been in a cold room and it is still not clearing. I does not taste that good either which is worrying so I am starting to think it has been infected. I plan to keg it tomorrow anyway and will have a taste next week. I will be gutted if it is infected so fingers crossed it is not. I will test teh gravity tomorrow and hopefully this will help me work out if it is infact infected or just down to me screwing it up.

Kegged yesterday but still not clear. The aroma had improved as well as the taste so I am thinking everything is ok but I do not want to speak too soon. I will have a pint in about a weeks time to take as much sediment out of the keg before transporting it to a party so will update on the taste then

So this keg got hammered in about 2.5 hrs at the weekend so it could not have been that bad ;) I had a few issues with it that I would like to know what you think. Firstly I think I had some diacetly which is freustrating as this is down to the fermentation temp so I know what to do about that. the bigger issue I have is the hop flavour/aroma. The bittering was lacking crispness to me compared to commercial IPAs. I found it sluggish and a bit lingering then the hop flavour was lacking as was the aroma/smell considering the amount of hops.

Do these issues sound like water treatment (or lack of) problems? Would some gypsum really make a big difference?

I have done Sara's recipe a few times and I do find the hops more muted than Jaipur, however it's still great.

Thornbridge water is quite high in sulphates at 412ppm, so not knowing what your water is, some gypsum would help. This is their water profile Ca 199ppm, Mg 20ppm, Cl 123ppm, Na 30ppm, SO4 412ppm, HCO3 17ppm.

You would also get a more pronounced hop flavour by using US-05, so that may be something to consider. Also I don't know what commercial IPA's you are referring to.

Thanks for the reply Ed :thumb:

My water is Sulphate 7.95mg/l, CaCO3 14.31 mg/l, Cl 5.88mg/l, Na 3.99mg/l. As mg/l = ppm it seems my water is really lacking in minerals in all fronts :shock:

Thinking I need to start looking into my water more closely :geek:

oh forgot to say commercial IPAs that I rate are Punk, Juipur, Snotty IPA basically west coast style ones. It was not the flavour I was worried about but the lack of crispness in the bittering and cleanness in the flavour

Latest posts

Back