Book recommendations

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ali

Reaction score
Hi all, not sure where to 'park' this post so put it here. No doubt the powers that be will move it if necessary.
Whilst having a well earned pint or three at the end of the day, I like to read. Not sure what others do, but thought it might be nice for people to recommend books they have enjoyed, hated, been enlightened or educated by, and not necessarily on brewing.

To get the ball rolling, I can thoroughly recommend 'The BBC; Brainwashing Britain' by David Sedgwick. Having read some of the recent posts on the forum, this may well provide some answers! Have a read, I'm sure you'll be glad you did. Other recommendations are of course most welcome!

They say that exercise is 90% mental, so reading a (thought provoking) book or two may also help us burn off the 'excess' calories from consuming our beer! Tenuous I know, but I'll take it over 'cardio' any day of the week!! Me in Lycra? Perish the thought!

'The Ragged Trousered philanthropists' written in 1911 by Robert Tressell.
Its a well known book in some circles, set in 'mugsborough'(Hastings) Although its a work of fiction it was actually autobiographical,I think its a classic,political and at times funny and tragic, even though its well over a hundred years old the theme of the book is remarkably current.(Especially if youre in the building trade)

Last edited:
Best non fiction I’ve read in a while is ‘The Storm Before The Storm’ by Mike Duncan. A narrative history of the political situation from the height of the Ancient Roman Republic to its collapse into civil war and autocracy. As one review said, ‘dripping with contemporary relevance’

I also love historical fiction right now. Anything by Robert Harris is great. The Fifth Knight series by EM Powell is fun, set in the time of Henry I.

Enjoyed reading 'Munich' by Robert Harris recently. No, it's not about a German base malt, it's a fictional take on events preceding the second world war.

Non-fiction wise, 'Sapiens: A brief History of Humankind' by Yuval Noah Harari is a fascinating read.

Latest posts

Back