Bottle bottoms melted

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aleik

Reaction score
A potentially unusual problem...

Over the hot period this summer I only had garage space to condition beer. We went away, and returned to these plastic bottles which were a little stuck to the cupboard shelf and gooey on the bottom. I assumed a bottle had exploded, but I'd hardly carbonated, and on closer examination they were all otherwise as they should be.

I can only guess the cupboard shelf itself was so hot that the bottoms melted a little.

No damage to the beer brewed thankfully. I tend to carbonate conservatively, but is this now a significant weak point in these bottles, and might they now explode, especially if carbonated lots? Cheers.

It's plastic, so I wouldn't expect an explosion. But a leak is more possible now. How much bottles are we talking about? Maybe worth switching them slowly to fliptops?

Had anything else stored in the cupboard previously? Sounds like a chemical reaction...I work with lots of different solvents and even small amounts left can destroy things. Not all readily evaporate.

Thanks for the replies. We're talking upwards of 40 bottles. It's a Cooper's European lager, nothing I'm extraordinarily protective about - more bothered about future brews, but at the same time I hate wasting (plastic, in particular) by throwing away.

I like the theory of something corrosive on the shelf. The surface, inside a shady cupboard, being too hot is maybe a little far-fetched. The substance remaining won't wash off, which makes me think it's almost certainly melted/corroded plastic and nothing else.

I was trying to think of whether there'd be a plastic build-up in those particular spots, when they were made, but necessarily so as any bits that jut out are already a natural weak point.

May just have to chuck once I've drunk the lager.

Attachments

• IMG_20180908_061607667.jpg
    IMG_20180908_061607667.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 75
Don't taste it...try washing it off in water. If it washes it could be a sugar,salt,crystal deposit of some sort. If the plastic is melted or corroded it will stay the same.

Latest posts

Back