Bottle conditioning the Cobnar Wood Northern style Brown Ale kit problem.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezbrews

Apprentice commercial brewer, amateur home brewer
Reaction score
So this was my last kit and it has had a couple of weeks in the bottle. I put ¼tsp into each bottle as I bottled it. Two weeks later and there's only a very short mild fsst when I open it. I pour it out and it's pretty flat with only a few, large bubbles. The FG is reading 1.012, stronger and drier than the intended FG of 1.020. I guess I will have to open them all and fix this, but what do I do, make a live yeast culture from some ale yeast and give each bottle a couple drops of it with more sugar (½ tsp?) I don't want it to go to waste but at the moment it's a little on the sweet side but this could be made more obvious by how flat it is.

If it's sweet has the sugar not yet been used by the yeast? What temp were the bottles stored at? I would suggest put them as is somewhere warmer for a week and see what happens

If it's sweet has the sugar not yet been used by the yeast? What temp were the bottles stored at? I would suggest put them as is somewhere warmer for a week and see what happens
Well it's hard to tell because it's actually fermented longer than meant to (FG 1.012 rather than 1.020) so it should be sweeter than it is. They were stored at room temperature in the kitchen which is pretty mild. There was a bit of a fizz, just not much.

I would have thought it would be less sweet if it fermented significantly lower than intended. I would still put them somewhere warmer for a week and see what happens. If it was less sweet than planned before adding the sugar for secondary fermentation and now it's sweeter I would still think it's not done yet.

Under the stairs. The beer brewed really well there when in the bucket so no reason it shouldn't condition there well too. Problem is there is nowhere warmer that wouldn't be really in the way. I'll just give it another week, I think.

I have had my second stuck fermentation with this kit. They were both past their best before date (bought up cheap) but started well. I added young’s dry active yeast to the first one and it fermented out. Just done the same to the second and it has started to ferment again. Weird.

A quarter of a teaspoon is about half of what I use and my beers have way less fizz than commercial bottled beers.

Latest posts

Back