Bottle Labels

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Simples! Good find Ardwyn.

Not sure why he is using anything other than 'bog standard' paper though. Maybe it is just for glossy label but I think matt looks better on the bottle.

Bakernat said:
I found a link a while back suggesting using milk as an adhesive and, bugger me it works really well on glass. Put the label on a side plate and baste generously with the milk using a paint brush. Just stick it to the bottle, blot with tissue paper and leave to dry. :thumb:

When I did label my bottles in a big way I used glue stick (Pritt or similar) - dissolves easily in hot water, and no mess when applying.

Exactly what I use on my PET beer bottles. Milk doesn't work on plastic and adhesive labels are a ******* to get off and just shorten their lifespan!

Bakernat said:
Exactly what I use on my PET beer bottles. Milk doesn't work on plastic and adhesive labels are a ******* to get off and just shorten their lifespan!

I have now discovered an even easier alternative if you don't mind hand-written labels. A big roll of gummed brown paper tape. These come in various widths and lengths. Got one from ebay, about £5, 2 inches width and about 50 (??) metres in length.

The trouble is that I am all together too anal for hand written labels. This is not helped by the fact that I have hand writing like a junior doctor!

I used to use a prit stick until my son knicked it, so a look in the kitchen cupboards and i found a tube of wallpaper seam seeler, works great on glass but havent tried it on plastic, cheers Dave NE

Tried the prit stick on my PET bottles. It worked a dream! So much better than adhesive labels! I am still a fan of milk on glass though.

I use the labelizer site foir my beer but I haven't found anything as good for wine.

Besides, as wine takes that much more effort in the making, I think that is justifies the effort!

:P

I have used most of these methods and sites to do labels and always various labels depending on what i had lying around. Now sadly after spending a while designing a new label for my latest brew and designing the template to fit the labels i had, it now turns out the damn labels are duff after printing out a shed full - they wont come off the backing properly and rip it to bits.
I usually use 3 across 30 per sheet type labels for all my ciders and beers which work very well. But now looking for new ones over here which is a pain when trying to explan to a turk what i need seeing as the last guy tried to fob me off with A4 sized labels for bottles :shock:

So guys - what labels do you use - ie - Avery Numbers? or equivalent types and what software if not the online stuff? Avery and others mostly have templates online to print from either Word or PDF and i have also used MS Publisher too.

Cheers
Scream

screamlead said:
I have used most of these methods and sites to do labels and always various labels depending on what i had lying around. Now sadly after spending a while designing a new label for my latest brew and designing the template to fit the labels i had, it now turns out the damn labels are duff after printing out a shed full - they wont come off the backing properly and rip it to bits.
I usually use 3 across 30 per sheet type labels for all my ciders and beers which work very well. But now looking for new ones over here which is a pain when trying to explan to a turk what i need seeing as the last guy tried to fob me off with A4 sized labels for bottles :shock:

So guys - what labels do you use - ie - Avery Numbers? or equivalent types and what software if not the online stuff? Avery and others mostly have templates online to print from either Word or PDF and i have also used MS Publisher too.

Cheers
Scream
i use L7165 labels and avery template

Why waste money on labels at all? Plain cheapy paper works perfectly well fixed with milk on glass and pritt stick on plastic!
:cheers:

Its not a template, you make the slide how you want your lable to look then in the print option you select something along the lines of "Print as hand outs" and then there is an option to put 6 slides per A4 page on. Mess around with puting 4, 6 or 9 on and having them horizontal or vertical to see what you like best.

Back