Bottle Priming

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chlorate

Reaction score
Hi all,

Got a beer in my fermenter that's been dry hopping for a week and a half and I'm about ready to bottle.

I usually use Coopers carbonation drops simply because they're so easy to use. But I ran out, they're a little bit expensive, and I'm feeling too lazy to pop to the home brew shop before it closes.

I do however have a 500g bag of light spraymalt left over. So I'm thinking a level teaspoon of that per bottle?

I am somewhat worried however, a friend of mine tends to prime with spraymalt and I found that some of his beer tastes a bit like malteasers and can be a bit over carbonated...

Anyone got any recommendations?

Normal sugar is fine at 1\2 to 1 teaspoon, depending on how fizzy you like it. Apparently cane sugar is better e.g. Tate and Lyle.

Hi
if you want to control exactly the carbonation anf the taste of your beer, you cal use household sugar :

You weight it in order to reach the desired carbonation (i.e. 5 g/l or less if you prefer) and dissolve it in hot water and boil it.
After cooling, pour the sugary water into your beer and stir well.
Then you can bottle.

This routine is more accurate than the fact of using 1/2 tsp per bottle.

Back