Bottled second beer kit but bits of cake went in- question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teriyakimonkey

Reaction score
Small amounts of the yeast cake made there way into several bottles when using a little bottler.

I am 100% sure that fermentation was complete and that I'd used the correct amount of priming sugar. That said am I correct in thinking that they shouldn't be at any more risk of becoming bottle bombs as all fermentables (apart from priming sugar) has gone?

Thanks in advance.

don'y worry this will settle , its the yeast that does the job of converting the sugar to co2 and after warming when you cold store this will shock the yeast and stop it working , it will only be able to convert what sugars there are present anyway .

no problem, the cake contains all sorts of stuff, its not just yeast! just let it settle and avoid with the rest of the junk when pouring :)

Thanks for your reassurance, it's exactly as I thought.

I'm not too worried about a little sediment and I expect that from all of the bottles I've done so far (brewing LOADS for my wedding in April). If this weather is going to be as cold as the press say I'll have them all out on the balcony to cool right down after a week or so indoors.

It'll be fine, i've actually read a thread on another forum where they advise to put a spoonful of the trub in the keg before sealing it up but i'd never do that myself! I don't rack off to another fv for bottling or kegging and sometimes get a bit come through the syphon and i've never had any problems. If it's left to condition properly it'll drop out of suspension :thumb:
:cheers:

Don't worry, relax, have a homebrew. So you have a little sediment in the bottle. A little vitamin B-4 and zinc never hurt anyone.

Actually the trub, while not the best tasting stuff, is quite nutritious. It's loaded with vitamin rich nutrients that yeast have both not used and created as a byproduct. It makes for excellent plant food too. I know some brewers who bottle condition and use the last swill in the bottle to feed their plants.

artiums_enteri said:
Actually the trub, while not the best tasting stuff, is quite nutritious. It's loaded with vitamin rich nutrients that yeast have both not used and created as a byproduct. It makes for excellent plant food too. I know some brewers who bottle condition and use the last swill in the bottle to feed their plants.

my missus likes the house plants etc , i just might try that , cheers

Latest posts

Back