bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leeg3910

Reaction score
hello all, just started fermenting my first wine and have collected some bottles ready to put it in but need to know if it is ok to reuse the screw caps on the bottles or would it be better to cork them.
thanks
Lee

not having a go mate, but try and make use of the search button as this has been covered several times.

Anyway, onwards and upwards, yes is the general answer. I prefer to cork them as its more reliable that reusing the screw caps but it has been said on here that you could use the cap another couple of times or cover the top with some clingy film to create a better seal but for the sake of around 7p a cork i know what id rather do.

What are you brewing buddy and welcome to an awsome hobby!! :thumb:

thanks for the reply, ive read a few posts on bottling now :) . been brewing beer kits for a couple of years now and ive also made some elderflower champagne this year. today for the 1st time ive started a turbo cider and a red wine made from tesco red grape juice and a tin of grape concentrate.

Lee

When I make my annual wine from my grapes, I use 250ml plastic screw top bottles, so convenient.

how did ur elderflower champers go? ive got some brewing at the mo. what recipe did u use?
ive also got a canadian blonde fermenting, ive got high hops for it!
how long has ur european lager been going? i read on another coopers instruction leaflet that you should leave it for at least 12 weeks in the bottles before drinking!
someone is gna have alot to drinkin around xmas, also got a milestones dasher the flasher kit fermenting!yeeha

how did ur elderflower champers go? ive got some brewing at the mo. what recipe did u use?

500g dried elderflowers ( i was too impaitient to wait for the flowers to open)
6 lemons
2 limes
4kgs sugar
5tbs white wine vinegar
youngs champagne yeast.
water upto 20 lts

this turned out nice, fermented out fully then primed bottles for some controlled fizz.

how long has ur european lager been going?

only just bottled on sunday.
ive just finished drinking a coopers mexican cerveza which was very nice

hypnoticmonkey said:
abeyptfc said:
ive also got a canadian blonde fermenting, ive got high hops for it!

Is that a brewing pun?

aye ofcourse!
honestly wasnt a typo :whistle:

slightly different recipe to what i used for mine,
brewed to 16 litres with 10 lemons, 2 kilos sugar, a sprinkling of champagne yeast, 130grams of dried elderflowers, 4 tablespoons of ww vinegar.i was advised 25g of elderflower per 4.5 litre by one person, 50g per 4.5 litre by another but they said it was very strong and would reduce the amount next time,so I went somewhere in between!!
it smells amazin, gna be bottling mine tomorrow, pics to follow....

i might be wrong about the amount of elderflowers, i used 2 packets of dried flowers and for some reason ive got 250g per packet on my mind

Back