bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are basically two ways to intentionally make sparkling wine. You can bottle slightly early or bottle and prime using the Methode Champenoise to get a secondary bottle fermentation. You MUST use proper Champagne bottles with over-sized crown caps or wired in corks or stoppers. The bottles are stored upside down, then you freeze the plug of sediment which forms in the neck, pop the cork (still upside down), eject the sediment, turn the bottle the right way up and re-cork. That's called disgorgement.

Or, you can cheat.

I've tried disgorging, it can be very messy and quite wasteful when you get it wrong.

I cheat and force carbonate mine in a Cornelius keg.

IMHO, buying empty bottles is just plain stupid. Ask around at hotels and posh pubs, particularly anywhere that's likely to host wedding receptions.

I agree with Moley but failing that, I was in a 99p store yesterday and they were selling sparkling grape juice in champaign type bottles.

Otherwise, just use beer bottles and crown caps. You can get a perfectly decent fizz without to much risk of lifting the sediment with a standard primming but if you go for a super bubbly wine, you risk exploding bottles and lifting sediment.

Edit. Just noticed you're local. The 99p store was the one in the Palisades in Birmingham city centre.

:oops: You're absolutely right, I think I'd better mark that one down as a Senior Moment.

Latest posts

Back