Wine kits recommendations

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siscokid85

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Usually a beer brewer but the mrs loves her wine. Decided I would do a kit for her, she is expecting it to be rubbish (as she deems my hedgerow wines of old to be)

She likes muscat or Pinot Grigio

We both like Malbec as a red.

Looking for recommendations for a kit of either style to make or anything that might be a good match to people who like those styles (I’m clueless with wine)

Prefer a 6 bottle kit if possible, as a tester less investment if it does turn out to be swill.

Cheers in advance

I tried a 30 bottle MYO white wine kit from the range. It's (or was) £23.99 + 3.5 bags of sugar.
They are mentioned several times on the forum.

Seems has the seal of approval from eldest daughter & my son's girlfriend

Now trying the rose. But in my case it takes forever to clear as I can't use the supplied finings due to someone being vegan.

My wife is a Malbec person, but she loves a dirty WOW. I did one with red grape juice too.

I have no idea why, but there y'are.

She also enjoyed a Ribena wine, but sadly, they put sweeteners in it now so it won't work. Marks and Sparks still do a Blackberry without any sweeteners in.
I still have some. It's years old yet weirdly tastes great.

Those were the days.

It's not been the same since Asda stopped doing Smart Price grape juice. You could make 5L of WOW for absolute pence.

Many happy days with ribena wine. Like you same the juice just isn't the same.

Tasted Myo white a couple of weeks ago. It's good. With a few tweaks & a bit of practice it could be brilliant (for a white 🤣🤣🤣)

My wife is a Malbec person, but she loves a dirty WOW. I did one with red grape juice too.

I have no idea why, but there y'are.

She also enjoyed a Ribena wine, but sadly, they put sweeteners in it now so it won't work. Marks and Sparks still do a Blackberry without any sweeteners in.
I still have some. It's years old yet weirdly tastes great.

Those were the days.

It's not been the same since Asda stopped doing Smart Price grape juice. You could make 5L of WOW for absolute pence.
Cheers, can I ask what a WOW is??

I tried a 30 bottle MYO white wine kit from the range. It's (or was) £23.99 + 3.5 bags of sugar.
They are mentioned several times on the forum.

Seems has the seal of approval from eldest daughter & my son's girlfriend

Now trying the rose. But in my case it takes forever to clear as I can't use the supplied finings due to someone being vegan.
Alas, this is out of stock, for the money looks worth a try. got a hankering to put some in a corny keg and serve on tap almost like a prosecco.

I got a pretty decent light red wine 2 years ago using just Lidl red grape juice & yeast.
They didn't have any in stock this autumn, but I would make it again if I can find it at a good price.
Lidl have stopped selling it sadly.
I have one round the corner from my house and also work. Neither do it, and the one at work is huge!

I doubt they stopped doing it completely & they will stock it again if the wholesale price comes down to a level they are willing to pay.
It's not the first time there have been availability gaps & it seems budget orange juice cartons is the current shortage.

Start with the On The House or SG Wines Pinot Grigio, both decent and easy to make.

The more you pay on wine kits the better the juice, so it is worth investing in the more premium kits if you really get into these.

Last edited:
I started with Winexpert Classic Pinot Grigio but find that their Reserve kits well worth the extra cost working out at around £1 a bottle extra. Wife likes the Sauvignon blanc better than the Pinot G. For me, the Malbec is excellent. I'd suggest you start with something from the Classic range (less cost should something go wrong with your first attempt) and you can then appreciate the difference between that and the Reserve range.

Thanks for the advice.

Looking through a lot of reviews on red wine kits, a lot of people advocate brewing them short / thicker to achieve the body. With the wine expert malbec kits (Classic or Reserve?) do you find there is any need for doing this?
I started with Winexpert Classic Pinot Grigio but find that their Reserve kits well worth the extra cost working out at around £1 a bottle extra. Wife likes the Sauvignon blanc better than the Pinot G. For me, the Malbec is excellent. I'd suggest you start with something from the Classic range (less cost should something go wrong with your first attempt) and you can then appreciate the difference between that and the Reserve range.

I have had a good look through these, this is really a rather good resource, cheers for compiling all the links!

I started the thread in 2013 and approximately 4 years later supermarkets stopped selling white grape juice you'll notice the recipes switch to red grape juice which in my opinion makes a better wine.

Some members say they can still get it but it must be like finding hens teeth, you can get white grape concentrate but its expensive.

1716494541230.png

Latest posts

Back