bottling cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeromeserena

Reaction score
hi all
i have a couple of brews matureing away in fv,s for nearly three months now.
what i would like to know is it possible to bottle some of it to make it fizzy
it is very nice but flat. swmbo fancies a carbonated cider.
will it fizz up in the bottles or have i left it too long
cheers all

This is a reply I gave to a post a few days ago. :thumb:

You are best batch priming. This is mixing a set amount of sugar for the whole batch in all the cider then bottling. For cider I prime at a rate of 7g per litre, this is a lttle less than your 1 tsp per bottle (most people would use half a tsp)

What you need to do is multiply the volume of cider by the priming rate so if you had 12 L of cider (24 bottles) and you went with 7g that would be 12 x 7 = 84 grammes. Weigh this out and disolve it in a little boiling water preferably in a sterilized container.

Next step is to syphon the cider from your fermentation vese, into another clean sterilized bucket or FV which has the sugar solution in the bottom. Don't let it splash about as you can oxidize the cider . Give it a good gentle stir with a sterilized spoon or paddle. Now you are ready to syphon into your bottles.

You should have bottles of cider with equal amounts of sugar. One advantage of this is if you are using a mish mash of bottle sizes you don't need to worry how much sugar to put in each as it is already done.

Once they are all capped put them somewhere warm for a week at fermentation temp and then somewhere cool for 2-3 weeks.

Turbo cider is best left to mature it will improve in taste. There is plenty on here about making and aging TC, with a little bit of knowledge and patience you really can make a decent pint of cider.

nah it's all good. you're not meant to drink from your fv though! hahah.

bottle it up with 1/2tsp to 1tsp sugar - 1/2tsp around ale carbonation, 1tsp lager carbonation, depending on what you prefer. i would aim to get the whole thing in bottles or kegged asap!

RobWalker said:
nah it's all good. you're not meant to drink from your fv though! hahah.!

I find them a bit on the heavy side and I can never finish a whole one...

Latest posts

Back