bottling when bubbling

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_bing

Reaction score
My FV has been happily bubbling away fermenting a Wherry kit. It's been over two weeks and it hasn't stopped bubbling yet (it's bubbling less than when it started, of course)

I'm doing SG readings (second one tonight) and i'm wondering... do the two SG readings have to be exactly the same to indicate fermentation has stopped? First SG was 1016.

If i bottle the beer before the airlock has stopped bubbling am i running the risk of cack beer and/or exploding bottles? Is 1016 too high an SG to bottle beer at?

The reason i ask is that i have noticed not everyone uses a hydrometer, some people seem to just wing it. I'm not brave enough yet, still learning the ropes :electric:

Am i getting too hung up on SG?
Shall i quit my whining?

If it's still bubbling it's definitely not ready to bottle.
You should have the same gravity reading over 3 days - it's worth remembering that a week extra to really finish up properly and clear will only benefit your beer - don't be in a rush to bottle

As above, I wouldn't check it again until 24 hours or so after it has stopped bubbling.

Once the yeasts finish the job of converting the sugars they will start to go back and 'fix' any mistakes they made which could have produced undesirable flavours. Once your ferment looks to have stopped you can check the SG - do this again a couple of days later to check its the same. At this point you can bottle, although it would benefit more for a couple of days in the cool to help clear it.

1016 is pretty high. Most brews I make finish at 1010-1012.

Winging it is not advised because of the danger of bottle bombs but I sometimes do it. You get a feel for when it's finished.

bear in mind the beer can still release co2 after fermentation - get the readings checks and if they're stable after 2-3 readings then it's finished.

coolio.

I thought 1016 was quite high too. I don't want any bottle bombs because i'm keeping them indoors to condition. If any blow up, the wife will go mad.

i'll just be patient...

thanks guys! :thumb:

hmm, it's been nearly four weeks and the airlock is still bubbling.
i've done two SG readings three days apart, both readings 1010.
but with the lid back on, the airlock starts bubbling again.

it's only my second brew. I'm tempted to bottle. My mate says to be patient and wait for the airlock to level out.

Any advice guys?

If the reading is constant 1010 bottle it, 4 weeks is more than enough to let the yest finish and clean up. Leaving for this time will have done more good than bottling it as soon as it had reached 1010.

The lid can be deforming or settling after you clip it back on, which will expel air from the airlock looking like fermentation

If you read the side of the box it says bottle when you get a steady gravity of below 1.014......should be ok to go after all this time

Latest posts

Back