Fermentation after cold crash

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benchalmers

Reaction score
Currently brewing a lager, and have been fermenting at 13°C for 14 days, I took a gravity reading after the 2 weeks and it came out at 1.010. I assumed fermentation had stopped as there was no more bubbles coming through the airlock, and all the floating sediment had fallen to the bottom. Cold crashed the beer at 4°C for 2 days and then proceeded to to bring the temp back up to room temp for bottling.
Here's where my issue lies, after bringing it to room temp it has re-started fermentation (each bubble is around 20seconds apart). Do I continue as normal to bottle it, and hope I don't create a bottle bomb, or do I take the temp back to 13 and leave it for a few days.
Cheers for any help :)

Last edited:
How do you know that fermentation has restarted? Bubbles coming out of the beer/airlock can just be the CO2 coming out of solution rather than fermentation. Especially if the beer has been warmed.

The general advice to determine whether fermention has finished is to check gravity 2-3 days apart and it's not changed then it's finished fermenting.

At a gravity of 1.010 after 14 days I would say that's probably finished fermenting. I would bottle it as normal but bottle one in a PET bottle like a clean soft drink bottle. That way you can test how carbonated it is by giving it a quick squeeze. If at any point it's as hard as a rock and you're concerned about bottle bombs, you can crack open the beers a bit, let off some of the gas for an hour or two (in a sink as they will gently foam over) and recap later. But I think you'll be fine.

How do you know that fermentation has restarted? Bubbles coming out of the beer/airlock can just be the CO2 coming out of solution rather than fermentation. Especially if the beer has been warmed.

The general advice to determine whether fermention has finished is to check gravity 2-3 days apart and it's not changed then it's finished fermenting.

At a gravity of 1.010 after 14 days I would say that's probably finished fermenting. I would bottle it as normal but bottle one in a PET bottle like a clean soft drink bottle. That way you can test how carbonated it is by giving it a quick squeeze. If at any point it's as hard as a rock and you're concerned about bottle bombs, you can crack open the beers a bit, let off some of the gas for an hour or two (in a sink as they will gently foam over) and recap later. But I think you'll be fine.
Cheers mate, thanks for the help!

You do not need to bring it back up to room temp you can bottle straight from crash temp if you want, just make sure you put the bottles in a warm place to re-ferment/carbonate the bottle.
Do it either way it's your choice either bottle from cold or from room temp just that the trub/yeast will stick to the bottom when cold so clearer beer into the bottle

Currently brewing a lager, and have been fermenting at 13°C for 14 days, I took a gravity reading after the 2 weeks and it came out at 1.010. I assumed fermentation had stopped as there was no more bubbles coming through the airlock, and all the floating sediment had fallen to the bottom. Cold crashed the beer at 4°C for 2 days and then proceeded to to bring the temp back up to room temp for bottling.
Here's where my issue lies, after bringing it to room temp it has re-started fermentation (each bubble is around 20seconds apart). Do I continue as normal to bottle it, and hope I don't create a bottle bomb, or do I take the temp back to 13 and leave it for a few days.
Cheers for any help :)
I was going to ask a question along similar lines, mine appeared to be still be fermenting after 10days, took a gravity reading 1.008 so appeared to just about done done...3days later still happily bubbling away so checked again 1.008, so bottled 😂🤞🤞🤞

Latest posts

Back