Bournemouth

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure. I'll be drawing from a different place than you, but it'll be close enough. I've helped a few people recently read water reports, so I might start a new thread with instructions on how to read them.
In the meantime:
1660225008484.png

IF you want to send me your postcode, I can walk you through getting your specific values from the latest water report.

Sure. I'll be drawing from a different place than you, but it'll be close enough. I've helped a few people recently read water reports, so I might start a new thread with instructions on how to read them.
In the meantime:
View attachment 73165

IF you want to send me your postcode, I can walk you through getting your specific values from the latest water report.
Awesome! Thanks for That! BH7 6LS

I'll do a proper update in a thread, but in short:
Enter your postcode here and you get a report page. Download the "Water quality report (PDF)"

In that report, here are the values:
1660230911616.png

1660230968392.png

Magnesium is missing. I can't remember where I got it from, so just go with 15 for now.

mg / l is (for all of our purposes) the same as ppm (parts per million)

Hardness/alkalinity is more awkward, as different things measure it in different ways, but here is where to start.

1660231108854.png

This is measure as the Calcium ions, but brewing sheets want it in a different form. I can't remember the numbers, but a rough starting point to convert to "Hardness as CACO3", you can multiply by 2.5 (I got this by working backwards from my existing values - I'll try to find the correct method later).
So "hardness as CACO3"would be roughly 234
If you need "hardness as HCO3-", you can multiply this number by 1.22 (I think) to get hardness as HCO3 as ~285.
Hope that helps. If anyone else reading sees any errors, I'll gladly fix them as I did this a while ago for my water and may have made mistakes. I can never remember the carbonate conversion formula

I'll do a proper update in a thread, but in short:
Enter your postcode here and you get a report page. Download the "Water quality report (PDF)"

In that report, here are the values:
View attachment 73170
View attachment 73171
Magnesium is missing. I can't remember where I got it from, so just go with 15 for now.

mg / l is (for all of our purposes) the same as ppm (parts per million)

Hardness/alkalinity is more awkward, as different things measure it in different ways, but here is where to start.

View attachment 73172
This is measure as the Calcium ions, but brewing sheets want it in a different form. I can't remember the numbers, but a rough starting point to convert to "Hardness as CACO3", you can multiply by 2.5 (I got this by working backwards from my existing values - I'll try to find the correct method later).
So "hardness as CACO3"would be roughly 234
If you need "hardness as HCO3-", you can multiply this number by 1.22 (I think) to get hardness as HCO3 as ~285.
Hope that helps. If anyone else reading sees any errors, I'll gladly fix them as I did this a while ago for my water and may have made mistakes. I can never remember the carbonate conversion formula
Wow, thanks for your help! I am new to water chemistry . I have been using mineral water. Looking forward to improving my HBđź‘Ť

Latest posts

Back