Bovril stout ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
calumscott said:
Someone's going to dig up the "Cock Ale" thread about now...
Just make sure you've cooled the wort before sticking your cock in.
Otherwise its awkward explanation time at a&e.
:wha:

Wolverine said:
is this a stupid idea ? Could I pot a bit of bovril in to give it a hint of beef?

It would go down well with a nice pie ;)

Actually there is a recipe in John Alexander's book for a 25L brew of mild in which he adds 40ml of gravy browning at 20mins of the boil.

Good Ed said:
Actually there is a recipe in John Alexander's book for a 25L brew of mild in which he adds 40ml of gravy browning at 20mins of the boil.

Gravy browning is just caramel. Been used in beers for a very long time.

jamesb said:
Good Ed said:

Gravy browning is just caramel. Been used in beers for a very long time.

It's used in several of Dave Lines recipes in BBLTYB

Bovril is very high in salt so could affect your fermentation if used in large amounts.

It also is beef free its made from autolysed yeast now & is good for Meat Refusers.

Why would you want Bovril Beer.

Extra beefy farts to dutch oven the wife with?

UP

In November 2004, the manufacturers, Unilever, announced that the composition of Bovril was being changed from beef extract to a yeast extract, claiming it was to make the product suitable for vegetarians and vegans; at that time fear of bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) may have been a factor. According to Unilever, "in blind taste tests, 10% didn't notice any difference in taste, 40% preferred the original and 50% preferred the new product."[citation needed] It now once again makes Bovril using beef extract and a chicken variety using chicken extract,[11] although the vegetarian formula is still sold in some countries, such as Australia and Hong Kong.

Quote From Wikipedia

So it is made with beef but the salt thing has got me worried what are the ways around this ?

And I want bovril beer because I love bovril and I love beer
Only seems logical to fuse the two together In a blissful union of beefy boozyness :sick:

Wolverine said:
And I want bovril beer because I love bovril and I love beer...
They did a Guinness version of Marmite but I'm not sure I'd like it the other way round.

Latest posts

Back