Priming Sugar /Dextrose Sugar confusion

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will B

Reaction score
Apologies for basic question but stupidly put in priming sugar into primary fermentation from Festival Golden Stag Summer Ale kit. Realised only afterwards that this was fir secondary fermentation and this kit did not need sugar at this stage. Is this remediable? And do I just add the same amount of priming sugar at secondary fermentation that I should have added first time? Also am I creating a super strong beer because of this mistake?? Immensely grateful for help soon here! Thank you, Will

Assuming you added enough priming sugar for a normal UK beer level of carbonotation (around 2 volumes), I'd reckon you raised abv by around 1-1.5% abv.
Negligible in other words...
I wouldn't call 1.5% ABV "negligible". That's quite a raise.

But also I don't think priming sugar for about 2 volumes would add anywhere near that amount. I'd expect it's more like 0.3-0.5% ABV.

I think they include 100g of dextrose.

That will be 2 additional gravity points at most. Beer could feasibly ferment a point lower, all else being equal would give you an extra 0.4% (4.9% rather than the intended 4.5%).

So smack bang in the middle of @Sadfield's range.

Latest posts

Back