brew belt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lengie10

Reaction score
simple question....

where on the FV does it work best. Bottom? Midway?

Don't want fermentation to go off to fast but due the glorious British summer weather - heating is off and my normal place is a bit cooler than in the winter months. Temp is currently about 18deg on the FV so want to lift a little.

There is no set position you have to move it up and down depending on the temperature until you get it right if you intend to use it a lot you could buy an Inkbird controller that will take the guesswork out.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B018K82UQU/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

81c%2BBTtAGdL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks - ive put mine on now and will look into that bit of kit. I'm guessing as heat rises it wants to sit above the base about 3inches up to start then adjust it accordingly.

I would start it close to the top and work down slowly you don't want it too hot for long periods.

I never had much luck with brew belts so devised my own solution which has served me well for many years. It's a MDF box about 18" square with cutouts on the top where the FV sits. 22mm thick so can easily withstand the weight. A lightbulb is suspended inside, which provides gentle warmth to the bottom of the FV. Here it is with a batch of the missus' wine reaping the benefit.

20170516_195212.jpg

Many years ago I used to brew kits of bitter for my dad, they were bloody awful but he didn't mind twang overload, drunk it for years. It was only when I started brewing again and joined this forum that I realised that a major factor was brewing to warm because I used to put a brewbelt on the bottom of the FV. The result was I was brewing I would guess at 30+ most of the time and most of the alcohol was probably of the fusel variety!
Put the belt at the top and monitor the temp hourly until it settles steady is my advice, then you can adjust the height to suit if it's not warm enough.
Or get an inkbird if you've got the money. And a brewfridge :-)

I never had much luck with brew belts so devised my own solution which has served me well for many years. It's a MDF box about 18" square with cutouts on the top where the FV sits. 22mm thick so can easily withstand the weight. A lightbulb is suspended inside, which provides gentle warmth to the bottom of the FV. Here it is with a batch of the missus' wine reaping the benefit.

That's a first for me! Not seen anyone use one of those before, that could pass as an uplighter in the corner of my living room that :thumb:

simple question....

where on the FV does it work best. Bottom? Midway?

Don't want fermentation to go off to fast but due the glorious British summer weather - heating is off and my normal place is a bit cooler than in the winter months. Temp is currently about 18deg on the FV so want to lift a little.

I would strongly recommend a timer too. Myn atm comes on every two hours for half hour periods, it's wrapped in a hot water tank cover to prevent fluctuations in temp.
Without the timer I would have had some terrible fusel brews.
Hope ur brews ok

Back