Brew Day : Hobgoblin Clone

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alcoholx

Reaction score
at it again my 4th all grain brew.. never got time to write about the last brew i did a seirra nevada ipa clone, all i can say was it was hard work as it rained again on that brew! :doh: but it is happily conditioning in the bottles and tastes great.. very hoppy, although ive noticed on my last two brews although they taste great they both suffered from chill haze, my first brew was a stout so i just never noticed the chill haze.

anyway got up this morning and cracked on:

Hogoblin Clone

[FONT=&quot]OG 1046
IBU 36
70% efficiency
60 min Boil
wlp023 burton ale yeast ( i used S-04 )
Mash at 67c

90% 4.29kg pale malt
7.5% 360g crystal 75l
2% 100g choc malt
.5% 20g cane sugar

14g EK goldings @ 60min
14g Fuggles @ 60min
16g Cascade @ 15min
64g Styrian Goldings @ 15min

the good news is it didnt rain!, today was a great brew day.. not a hitch

started off by cleaning all the gear and sanitizing with starsan, used about 26[FONT=&quot] ltrs of [/FONT]hot water from the tap and plugged in the boiler to start warming up the mash water

while the water was heating up i measured out the grain, i found my digital scales where pretty **** for this so got out the traditional kitchen scales, ill save the digital scales for weighing the hops.

brew bag in and got the mash water up to temp.. a tad too high actually at 73c.. but it was close enough.. stirred in all the grains and gave it a good stir to mix in the grains and got a mash temp of 68c, slightly high but nothing silly so i put the lid on and coverd the boiler in blankets..

after 30 mins i took off the blankets and gave the mash a good stir.. temp was still 68... so covered it up and started to weigh out my hops.. and wrote down the time and timings ect.

60 mins in i uncoverd the boiler and tested the temp, it had dropped down to 65, so i had lost about 3C over the hour inc opening it up to stir the mash.. so alls good so far.

plugged in the boiler to do a mash out.. got the temp to about 75c in about 20 mins while giving the mash a good stir to make sure the bag did not catch on the element.

once the mash was at 75C i lifted out the bag and hung it above the boiler to drain and fitted a small funnel into the top of the bag ready for the sparge, on all my other brews i have squeezed the bag to death.. but i have read that this releases tanins and creates the chill ha[FONT=&quot]z[/FONT]e in the finished beer, so i was determined not to squeeze the bag at all but let it drain and do a decent sparge

DSC_0502.jpg

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]got my sparge water [FONT=&quot]up to 80c [FONT=&quot]in a pot and used a plastic jug to[FONT=&quot]o slowl[FONT=&quot]y pou[FONT=&quot]r it into the bag[FONT=&quot] [FONT=&quot]to rinse of the grains, not sure how mutch water i used but i got the boiler level back up to [FONT=&quot]roughly 27 litres.. i think i used about 5 litres o[FONT=&quot]f water.

[FONT=&quot]got her up[FONT=&quot] to the boil and added the first hops

DSC_0505.jpg

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]poured myself a pint of sarah hughs ruby mild while waiting :)

DSC_0506.jpg

[FONT=&quot]followed the recipe and added the next hop editions, whirlfloc and wort chiller and left until the 60 mins boil was over.. and turned off the heat [FONT=&quot]a[/FONT]nd t[FONT=&quot]urned on the wort chiller, i left it until the temp had got down too about 25[FONT=&quot]c -30c, it took about 35mins as the water was very cold[FONT=&quot], and drained the wort in[FONT=&quot]to the fv.. leaving the wort chiller running at the same time.

DSC_0511.jpg

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]once drained i took [FONT=&quot]the fv[/FONT] into the house[FONT=&quot], [FONT=&quot]measured the OG and got 1.050, [FONT=&quot]so my efficiency [FONT=&quot]looked good... very pleased with[FONT=&quot] the[FONT=&quot] results without squeezing the bag to death.. and i got a good 23ltrs of wort.. without the need to top up

so i stirred up the wort to get some oxygen in and pitched the yeast... temp was still a little hi[FONT=&quot]gh at 25c.. but our house is cold so it wont stay there

[FONT=&quot]so this was probably my best brewday.. no rain , no disasters.. the whole process was silky smooth.. really pleased, the total brew day time was about 4.5 - 5 hours..

[FONT=&quot]really interested to see if this[FONT=&quot] [FONT=&quot]cures the chill ha[FONT=&quot]ze on my beers, il let you know i[FONT=&quot]n a few weeks :)

[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

[/FONT][/FONT]

[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

[/FONT][/FONT]

[/FONT][/FONT] [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

[/FONT]

Sounds a good day. Like the idea of the funnel and pouring the sparge water over it. I use a pulley so could adopt that method.

Sounds a good day. Like the idea of the funnel and pouring the sparge water over it. I use a pulley so could adopt that method.

it seemed to work better for me

i had noticed when i poured water onto the bag before that alot of it ran down the sides and never made it onto the grains or into the bag, this way the water actually fills the bag.. and you notice that it does not come out the bag streight away and takes a little bit of time to filter through the grains, with a deeper colour to the drained wort.

Good job on the brew and nice pictures.

I'm looking at your connections on your wort chiller and thinking I should do similar, are they reducers from tap/hose connector size down to 10mm pipe size?

Good job on the brew and nice pictures.

I'm looking at your connections on your wort chiller and thinking I should do similar, are they reducers from tap/hose connector size down to 10mm pipe size?

i think it was this reducer.. then get the cheap blue hose connectors from b and q..

http://www.screwfix.com/p/reducing-coupler-compression-fitting-15-10mm/51238

i had to pack it out slightly with ptfe tape as my wort chiller wasnt 10mm copper.. but works great.. saves a shed load of hassle

I know I've got 10mm down to 8mm in me box o bits but not sure about 15 - 10, have to look in the morning

do the blue b + q jobs push fit onto 15mm pipe?

I know I've got 10mm down to 8mm in me box o bits but not sure about 15 - 10, have to look in the morning

do the blue b + q jobs push fit onto 15mm pipe?

no there 2 piece and just screw onto the reducer.. then you just use a standard hose connector on your hose pipe

DSC_0513.jpg

Looks like a Successful brew day mate, nice one. I need to make a hobgoblin clone myself, I'd be interested to know how this one turns out.

Also interested in you SN IPA clone, would you mind posting the recipe?

Nice write up and photos, looks like a great day. I'm interested to see whether the new sparging method does cure your chill haze problems being new to BIAB myself.
Thanks for posting.

Looks like a Successful brew day mate, nice one. I need to make a hobgoblin clone myself, I'd be interested to know how this one turns out.

Also interested in you SN IPA clone, would you mind posting the recipe?

this is the original recipe i had

Sierra Nevada - this recipe is from info provided by the brewer:

Batch Size (L): 25.0
Original Gravity (OG): 1.053
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.21 %
Bitterness (IBU): 38.3 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 70

5.592 kg Pale Ale Malt (93%)
0.421 kg Crystal 60 (7%)
18.0 g Magnum Pellet (12.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes
14.0 g Perle Pellet (6% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes
25.0 g Cascade Pellet (9.2% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes
56.0 g Cascade Pellet (9.2% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes

Mash at 67°C for 60 Minutes.
Ferment at 18°C with Safale US-05

clibit kindly resized it for me to 23 litres.. this is the one i used

Batch Size (L): 23.0

5.150 kg Pale Ale Malt (93%)
0.385 kg Crystal 60 (7%)

16.0 g Magnum Pellet (12.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes
16.0 g Perle Pellet (6% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes
20.0 g Cascade Pellet (9.2% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes
50.0 g Cascade Pellet (9.2% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (steep)

Ferment with Safale US-05

this is the original recipe i had

Sierra Nevada - this recipe is from info provided by the brewer:

Batch Size (L): 25.0
Original Gravity (OG): 1.053
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.21 %
Bitterness (IBU): 38.3 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 70

5.592 kg Pale Ale Malt (93%)
0.421 kg Crystal 60 (7%)
18.0 g Magnum Pellet (12.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes
14.0 g Perle Pellet (6% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes
25.0 g Cascade Pellet (9.2% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes
56.0 g Cascade Pellet (9.2% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes

Ferment at 18°C with Safale US-05

clibit kindly resized it for me to 23 litres.. this is the one i used

Batch Size (L): 23.0

5.150 kg Pale Ale Malt (93%)
0.385 kg Crystal 60 (7%)

16.0 g Magnum Pellet (12.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes
16.0 g Perle Pellet (6% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes
20.0 g Cascade Pellet (9.2% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes
50.0 g Cascade Pellet (9.2% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (steep)

Ferment with Safale US-05

Ah yes, that's the pale ale recipe, I've done that twice now and am fine tuning to get it spot on.
You said in the original post that you had a go at the IPA, I thought you meant torpedo or hop hunter.

this beer turned out great... really nice and close to hobgoblin, ill definately make this again, it has the taste and style of hobgoblin but not quite as bitter/strong in taste/flavour.. maybe increase the bittering hops next time, but its very close

DSC_0551 1.jpg

Latest posts

Back