Brew fridge for the garage

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteBeardface

Reaction score
There is probably a topic somewhere about this already, but I'm struggling to find it, so apologies, but I need some help on this...

I'd like a larder fridge with no freezer for the garage so I can shift my brewing out of the house and out of the wife's way as well as prepare a set-up for future lagering adventures, but I can't seem to find any info on whether fridges are safe in outbuildings or not, only fridge-freezers. Yet Curry's say all fridges are not suitable for outbuildings.

Would I be able to do this safely (i.e. no broken fridges, no potential leaks or explosions, etc.) or do I need a particular type of fridge to stand the larger temp fluctuations of the garage?

I have a Beko larder fridge in my garage, and was using it set up with an inkbird during the extremes of this summer's heat as a brew fridge with no issues.
I have a beko larder fridge too.. Its the only manufacturer that I could find that sells a fridge that can cope with low ambient temperature that you get in a garage.

I've done a bit of looking on this subject previously. My recollection is that the only thing I could find that was rated as being suitable for using in outbuildings was chest freezers.

I think, with fridges, they say that they aren't suitable for use in outbuildings as these units aren't designed to run in extreme temperatures for long periods of time. Keep in mind that these fridges are likely sold all over the world - some places were the external ambient temp could be very high (much hotter than the UK) which could over time put a real strain on the compressor etc.

My personal opinion is that, as a brew fridge, these units will function fine in outbuildings in the UK/Ireland. I think the risk of fire/explosion is probably very very low. I suspect worst case scenario, the compressor stops working and the fridge packs in. Having said that, this is pure speculation only on my part. I'm not an electrician or a fridge technician so don't quote me on it. Probably best to try and source a used fridge rather than brand new so that, if it does fail, you're not down as much cash.

My personal opinion is that, as a brew fridge, these units will function fine in outbuildings in the UK/Ireland. I think the risk of fire/explosion is probably very very low. I suspect worst case scenario, the compressor stops working and the fridge packs in. Having said that, this is pure speculation only on my part. I'm not an electrician or a fridge technician so don't quote me on it. Probably best to try and source a used fridge rather than brand new so that, if it does fail, you're not down as much cash.
I think you're right, though I probably need a better fridge than I already found. It's a Neff integrated model that worked for the first few days that I had it for cold-crashing, but after a couple weeks sitting doing nothing, I get sparks, noise and some smoke coming from near the compressor. I think something got in there and has subsequently gotten fried, I'll try to clean it. If that fails, I'll try and find another somewhere before I invest in something like a Beko freezer for similar purposes.

Cheers for your help so far, guys! Always appreciated :)

I'm sure one of the reasons they say not suitable for outbuildings is that they may rust if it's damp.

I think that a fridge not rated for outbuilding use is not guaranteed to work. In very cold conditions the refrigerant might thicken or congeal and that'd do the pump no good. Condensation might form on the circuit boards (bang!) and condensation might damage the thermal insulation. Having said that people have been running fridges and freezers not rated for outbuildings quite happily. The key is that you aren't filling the fridge with expensive foods, it's your homebrew and you're not looking to make an insurance/warranty claim if it breaks.

One thing you could consider is either one of the Beko fridges that are rated down to -15C or a chest freezer that's rated for outbuilding use. That's what I use and externally it's fine. Internally there's a lot of condensation when I'm cold conditioning/lagering.

Don't know how long these fridges last, but camping in France for many years you can hire a fridge on some campsites. People leave them on pallets inside tents or awnings, they leave them on old carpet outside or some directly on the grass. Regardless of temps in France during summer months there is dew and condensation overnight. Cables trail across damp or dusty earth, the sun beats down on then during the day. These fridges are loaded on and off trailers or vans every week or so, thrown on their side and stored out in the open air when not in use.

I think the guideline conditions to operate a fridge are overcautious having seen the abuse some receive!

My second hand fridge, approximately 30 years old is happily doing a great job in my garage. When it stops working I'll buy another for a tenner. :smallcheers:

I've said it before so I may as well say it again ...

"Why do you need a working fridge for brewing?"

Most brews can be fermented and carbonated at 18*C and above! In Belfast the average temperature doesn't go any higher than 15*C in July and August; and for the other ten months of the year, the average temperature is about 8*C.

So:
  1. "Yes!" Cold Crashing a brew can speed up the clearing process. and
  2. "Yes!" to make a genuine Lager can require keeping the brew cool during the fermentation process.

But:
  1. Cold Crashing isn't necessary because "Time + Gravity" will clear a brew just as well. and
  2. By careful planning of when you brew Lager the low temperatures required can be achieved naturally.
The real benefit is that a fridge that doesn't refrigerate can usually be obtained for FREE.

This one cost me £50 second hand because it still refrigerates ...

Brew Fridge.jpg

... whereas this one doesn't refrigerate; which is why I got it for FREE from the caravan site at the back of my home ...

Version 2.jpg

For at least 95% of the year both Brew Fridges are heating the FV's, PB's or Bottles rather than cooling them.

Latest posts

Back