Brew Toad closing down

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewed_Force

Reaction score
From 31 December 2018 the Brewtoad website will be taken down and inaccessible.
Download and save your recipes before then as your recipes and profile will no longer be available following that date.
To download a recipe as a Beer XML file, add the .xml extension to the end of your recipe URL (e.g. https://brewtoad.com/recipes/bestbitter.xml) and a text document will immediately download.
Or, you can download by clicking the link on the recipe detail page (Export BeerXML).

Sad! I have dozens of recipes saved, several dating back to the days of Hopville which Brewtoad swallowed up several years ago. It's going to be a big faff to make all of them 'BeerXML' and then find new software that will import them that either a) doesn't suck or b) doesn't cost more than I can afford, which is basically nothing. I guess this means I also lose all my brew logs as well which tell me how stuff actually tasted...
I guess free software is hard to make sustainable in the long term, especially if someone is going to spend many hours to maintain it, input new hops etc regularly and pay a fortune for hosting that can actually keep up with people's usage in terms of bandwidth and storage capacity. I had noticed that it has been running really slowly recently and that ingredients weren't being updated, so I saw the writing on the wall.

Very friendly site, had a few recipes there, used it mostly for doublechecking calculations and get inspired by other peoples recipes.

@joel Biermacht is a nice app for Android, you might take a look at it.

Back