brew went to 28 degrees

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huzza

Reaction score
this is my first attempt at brewing, last Friday i mixed my brew and put it in the airing cupboard. now the instructions for my beer say to keep the temp between 18 to 22 but mine went up over night to 28. do any of you think this has killed my beer going to this temp or will it be ok in your opinion?

if so can it be saved? im only 3 1/2 days in so far.

thanks

Chris

Not convinced it will be fine. There won't be any reason why you can't drink it, apart from potentially the taste.

Just try it when it's ready, if you like it, it will be fine. May have a kinda 'fruity' flavour to it.

should i add any more yeast to kick start it or do you think the original yeast is still ok and working its magic?

Fermentation is an exothermic reaction and especially in the initial stages when the yeast is growqing a lot of heat is produced. Unfortunately this is when fusal alcohols are likely to be produced especially with high temps. You will have to see how it tastes. Try and keep your fermentation below 21c airing cupboards are generally not the best place for brewing.

Back