Brewdays at Graceland

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you account for the AAU of your hops to dictate your final ibu?

In the sense that I read the label and think "blimey - that's a lot higher than the EKG you were thinking of, mate, what should we do?"

Well today I got the scales out and vaguely measured something and chucked it in.

Outcome was quite nice but bitter (again). Nice flavour, and a definite red, which I was looking for. Came out at 1.046.

Came up short in my measures though. I sparged to just over 23L, and obv left a bit in the boiler with the hoppy mush (I really need to get a hopping bag next time) - and with that and boil off I was just over 16L in the FV.

Must do better.

Ever tried beer Smith or similar? Note I said AAU...this is the number +%...the higher it is the more bitterness you get.

not yet, but was googling their site this afternoon

yep - the CML bags have the AAU printed......so not like I'm not warned

The forum calculator is good..put your beer style in,then malt bill,boil time etc. Look at the info panel and it will tell you where you need to be regarding abv,colour and bitterness. As you fill in your hop additions the IBU populates the panel so you can see the effect you're having.
Have a play it's dead easy!

And yet.................the great Gods of Alehalla have intervened.

Crisp, dark red - yes, on the bitter side - but sampling while bottling indicated all is good. :thumb:

Just had a sneaky test bottle of my May 12 brewday (bottled on 30th). Deep, deep joy. My best ale so far. :laugh8:

Now, the recipe.............erm...................ahhhh

Couple of weeks ago I did a coopers can of wheat beer, and chucked in a couple of bags of wheat spray malt.

Two weeks later, I thought I'd have a look at it today, since it's raining and I have no indoors jobs to do.

Well...

Looks ok.

Smells ok.

Seems to be mucho strong. on or slightly above 1.010

tastes bloody awful - vinegary/lemony...suppose it's chips for tea then

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back