Brewery tours

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cask is best

Landlord.
Reaction score
Often seen adverts when me and the better half have been traveling about here and there in the summer on our days off or when on holiday [ Holidaying in the UK of course] But has any one been on a brewery tour and how did you rate it for value for money.

:cheers:
CIB

See your in Yorkshire, the York brewery is a good tour. I ended up after in the brewery tap having a pint and decent chat with the head brewer.

Another vote for the York brewery tour, I did it a couple of years ago, the brewers are chatty and the ale is fine :)

Do take a few quid with you though you'll want to bring a few 'samples' away with you. The bus service is pretty good around York too, although as my wife doesn't drink I always have a designated driver on hand in these situations :D

They also sell home brew kits, that might be of interest to a few folk around here...

I went to St. Austell brewery last summer when we were holidaying in Cornwall.

They do a very good tour indeed. Started off with an introduction and history of the brewery, then a good tour round the building, which is the original purpose built Victorian building. Each part of the process was covered and the staff were very knowledgeable. Ended up in the bar where they let you have tasters of each beer, and a couple of vouchers to exchange for pints, IIRC. I recall a few very nice pints of Trelawny. :drink: They have a huge brewery shop and are also a big wine merchants if the grape appeals too.

Closer to home, the Hog's back brewery in Tongham. Don't, whatever you do, drive, though. Most of our party did, so it fell to the two of us who didn't drive to ensure the freebies didn't go to waste. :drunk:

Even closer to home (a short stagger for me) is Triple fff brewery, and they do a good tour, I think, only for groups, but they also have an open day each year with tours, live music and food which is worth a look. On a much smaller scale than St. Austell, of course, but still just as fascinating.

Keep meaning to go to Hook Norton sometime, as they apparently do a nice tour.

Highly recommended, I'd say. It was seeing what makes a brewery tick that got me interested in brewing my own. :thumb:

Peerless Brewery in Birkenhead
I've been twice!!
First time it was £15. Second time it had gone up to £18... worth every penny.

For that you get...
Arrive 7pm leave at 11pm
Tour of the brewery by manager and head brewer Steve
A huge bowl of Ale stew with mountains of crusty bread
Massive selection of local cheeses
and Unlimited sampling of their beers :party:

I've done several but the best 2 are:

Skinners Brewery, Truro.http://www.skinnersbrewery.com/tours.php

£7.50 and you get to drink as much as you like at the end of the tour!

Hogsback Brewery, Tongham Surrey http://www.hogsback.co.uk

£10 and during the tour you get to sample 4 different beers. It seemed that at every corner there was a guy standing with his hand full of 4 pint pitchers. The shop had beers for sale from all over the world. It was a real kid in a sweet shop moment.

Most other tours just give you tokens for about 2 half pints as tasters, whereas my 2 favourites gave me 4-5 pints of there finest produce.

You do need an understanding partner who is happy to drive you home!

Hook Norton Brewery. Great tour. Did it a few years ago now but was really impressed. £9.70 now - £7 when I did it. At the end you get to sample everything you want in the bar. Would do it again if I was passing by.

http://www.hooknortonbrewery.co.uk/

Sometimes better to go mid week if you want to see any action or talk to brewers rather than a tour guide who

Sheffield Brewery Co.....Hic....Burrrp! Nuff said.

Pie and Peas that made me cry it was so good....Beers that were on offer when I went...an American IPA with Citra....devine...Chocolate porter..the best..and core range of bitters and pales..Plenty of beer to crash into...

very good tour from head brewer Tim, he knows his stuff and the pride he takes in his work shows through.

In the summer, they open up a beer garden with a BBQ....BBQ guru Sergi is on hand marianiting up the chicken, Lamb etc...There is no way I will let the summer pass without another trip to beer heaven...

Back