Brewing in a pub cellar

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soggydog

Reaction score
I'm looking at setting up a wee micro in a pub cellar, and before applying for the licences I wanted to check the planning rules. It would be in Edinburgh City's conservation area.
Does anyone know if this would require change of use planning consent?
Its going to be really small scale, maybe a 1-2BBL.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Cheers
Soggydog

I think brewing still comes under a normal activity for a pub but a quick call or email to the councils planning department should confirm.

I'm looking at setting up a wee micro in a pub cellar, and before applying for the licences I wanted to check the planning rules. It would be in Edinburgh City's conservation area.
Does anyone know if this would require change of use planning consent?
Its going to be really small scale, maybe a 1-2BBL.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Cheers
Soggydog

Have a look at attached article by Camra, as far as I can tell pubs and breweries are two different categories so you will need to seek premission from Planning

http://www.camrabristol.org.uk/pubsgroup/Source/Pubs&UseClassOrders.pdf

Pubs fall into A4 drinking establishments whereas breweries are B2 General industrial,different requirements for noise waste , environmental requirements etc but I cannot see a planning officer refusing it! 2-3 pubs in Newcastle have breweries in their cellars.

You may also need Environmental health requirements such as wipe clean walls and floor drains and adequate storage for malt, hops and chemicals.

Good luck, if you don't ask you won't get!

A gastro type pub near me started selling beers they've been brewing in their cellar. Knocking them out at 4.20 a pint and the really disappointing thing was that it was bad beer. It tasted like my first ever couple of attempts using extract and no fermentation temp control. Couldn't speak to the owner/brewer/publican at the time but if I go back I'll ask him what he did about regulations. Still as its a Hall & Woodhouse pub it's no surprise the beer was bad!

I think brewing still comes under a normal activity for a pub but a quick call or email to the councils planning department should confirm.

Thanks for the advice.
I was hoping to avoid that but it might be necessary.
Cheers!

Have a look at attached article by Camra, as far as I can tell pubs and breweries are two different categories so you will need to seek premission from Planning

http://www.camrabristol.org.uk/pubsgroup/Source/Pubs&UseClassOrders.pdf

Pubs fall into A4 drinking establishments whereas breweries are B2 General industrial,different requirements for noise waste , environmental requirements etc but I cannot see a planning officer refusing it! 2-3 pubs in Newcastle have breweries in their cellars.

You may also need Environmental health requirements such as wipe clean walls and floor drains and adequate storage for malt, hops and chemicals.

Good luck, if you don't ask you won't get!

Thanks for the link.
I found this article last night and it seemed to me as you suggested that it would require a change of use.
I'll check with Edinburgh Council. In for a penny...
Cheers

A gastro type pub near me started selling beers they've been brewing in their cellar. Knocking them out at 4.20 a pint and the really disappointing thing was that it was bad beer. It tasted like my first ever couple of attempts using extract and no fermentation temp control. Couldn't speak to the owner/brewer/publican at the time but if I go back I'll ask him what he did about regulations. Still as its a Hall & Woodhouse pub it's no surprise the beer was bad!

I've found the same at a couple of places, including the Slighachan Hotel on Skye. It has to be good, and consistent!
Cheers!

Thanks for the link.
I found this article last night and it seemed to me as you suggested that it would require a change of use.
I'll check with Edinburgh Council. In for a penny...
Cheers

Even in conservation areas as long as you do not damage the fabric of the building and everything you put in is removable this should not be an issue.
You will also need to register with HMRC as a brewer/wholesaler as the pub license will not cover that.

Back