Brewing onto a trub??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewbob

Regular.
Reaction score
I was reading elsewhere on another thread that someone brewed their next brew directly onto a trub from their previous brew. Can someone give me some more information please...

At the moment I've got a Festival Limited Edition Elderflower brew on, I'm hoping to put this into a secondary at the w/e to clear as halfway through the brew there is a little hop sachet and a sachet of dried elderflowers, so there are loads of floaters in there. This has obviously affected the taste.

After I have syphoned off the brew I have a Wherry to put on, could I just put the Wherry directly onto the trub and stir vigorously and make the brew up that way, won't the boiling water kill any remaining yeast, and isn't the yeast dead anyway??

Is this possible? How would I do it? Do I need to worry about sterilising?

Brewbob said:
...won't the boiling water kill any remaining yeast, and isn't the yeast dead anyway??
Yes and no.

You can just bung unfermented wort onto the trub of a previous brew and it'll go off like a rocket. The wort needs to be cool though, obviously.

Better still is to wash your yeast to remove any yeast cells that are dead and any other **** (there's a guide on here somewhere) and to pitch that into your next brew.

I did precisely this with my second wheat beer. Make sure wort is cool and then dumped it right onto the trub. It went nuts. Drinking a pint now, it's great :D

Right, so I've got a 10l pot so if I mix the wort with boiling water in that and let it cool then mix it with the cool water and trub... Might give it a go

Well, I have 3, two are in use fermenting, I'll put the beer that is ready into the empty one to use as a secondary to clear, that will leave me one empty FV, the other one that is fermenting has about another week to go

Ah cool. Well when you've bottled/kegged the beer you want to reuse the trub from, mix up the kit in the spare FV then dump it straight onto the trub of the other brew. Does that make sense? :wha:

Back