Brewing pils at a higher fermenting temp

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puravida

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've never brewed a lager or pils as I have nowhere that is a consistent cool temp to ferment however I do have all the ingredients to hand - lager malt, hallertau hops and a sachet of saflager.

Has anyone tried brewing at a higher temp? The spot I use is normally 20 degrees.

I have cool sheds and a big fridge to condition in but they are too cold to ferment.

Any tips / experience.

Cheers

Jon

Maybe use a clean ale yeast like US05? It'd probably give better results at that temp rather than trying to force a lager yeast to cope with temps that are too hot for it.

I want to do a lager at some point this year, but am probably going to "find" a £20 larder fridge on gumtree for that purpose and combine it with an STC1000 for £18 off ebay to keep it at the right temp.

I would definitely go with the above. You will get some funny flavours fermenting lager yeast at 20ºc :sick:

Abey sent me his Scheihallion clone in the Secret Santa and that was done with US05. There was the tiniest hint of aleyness but certainly not off-putting in any way and I would say only really a fault in a competition scenario.

Hi Jon,

Can you not dunk your FV in a big bucket of water and add freezer blocks? I did this for my AG Pils (same recipe and Saf-23) this Summer and it kept it around 14oC, I put the freezer blocks in in the morning and then late afternoon swapped them with new ones.

Brew was good with no after taste.

Colin.

in short you can't do it , doing a pils wants a german lager yeast (or similar) and that needs around 12c , however you could use a Californian lager yeast . Not sure how this will go (good i bet) so doing a pils is about top grains (morvarian barley which is pilsner malt) and the mash profile , and lagering .But brewing at 20c with lager yeast will be nasty thats like brewing an ale at 29c :sick:

How cold are your sheds? you could pitch high and still ferment at around 9c

Latest posts

Back