Brewing Shed!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aleman

Regular.
Reaction score
Well due to the fact that I still have a job :thumb: I have a large chunk of money that we had been keeping 'just in case' that now needs to be spent. For the last few years we have been saying, "when we have the money we must get a shed for the bottom of the garden, move all the jumk into it, and I can have the brick shed as a brewery" . . .Well Guess what? Yep, She made me buy a 12 by 10 Workshop . . . I only wanted a 10 by 8 Shed . . . Honest Guv . . . Bad news is that they are going to deliver it in three weeks . . :shock: . . and the site looks like this

Groundworks01.jpg

Ok so a bit of work is going to be required. :hmm:

I was planning on levelling the site with the lowest point (Front LHS), and digging a trench footing to mount 8" concrete blocks on to stand 4" proud of the grass . . .the interior of the block work would be filled with scalpings or 20mm gravel for drainage. . . .although lookin at a variety of how to build a shed base sites They suggest either Concrete base (3" on top of 3" hardcore) or Paving slabs . . . Even though the workshop has tanalised 6" by 2" floor joints I don't like the idea of them sat on wet concrete or paving slabs.

Any one got any smart ideas (Already thought of getting someone else to do the groundwork for me :evil: )

Anyone want some topsoil ? :whistle:

Check which way the floor joists run then lay 4/5 rows of blocks to alow the joist to lay across the blocks. Leave them an inch or 2 proud of ground level if you dont want the joists sitting on a wet surface. Pleased to here you still have a job :thumb:

My 12' x 8' shed is on 2.5" square pressure treated bearers on top of a concrete base. I'm thinking that my bearers, which re loose, would be the equivalent of your joists but your joists are fixed to the shed base. I think you will need something more solid than scalpings, at least at 2' intervals, maybe more concrete blocks? My shed has been up 10 years and there are no signs of the bearers or the floor rotting.

If my redundancy plans come off then I hope to replace my shed with full garden width cabin for brewing and bar purposes. Haven't told the wife yet though. :whistle:

You got me looking out of my window, you can fit my shed into a 12 x 10 two and a half times!

So I take it the junk is going to stay put and you are going to hook up the shed with electrickery?

prolix said:
You got me looking out of my window, you can fit my shed into a 12 x 10 two and a half times!

So I take it the junk is going to stay put and you are going to hook up the shed with electrickery?
The brick shed already has electrikery . . . and water :whistle: :whistle: . . . Just too much junk in it for me to use as a brewery . . . Brewery gets stored in there :hmm: :whistle:

My brewhoise is coming along a treat ive got a 15ftx10ft brick one its now got 8 double sockets 10mm arnour cable running into it nice stainless extractor hood stainless work surfaces to go in cant wait to get it finished :D :D :D :D :D :D

31bb3 said:
My brewhoise is coming along a treat ive got a 15ftx10ft brick one its now got 8 double sockets 10mm arnour cable running into it nice stainless extractor hood stainless work surfaces to go in cant wait to get it finished :D :D :D :D :D :D

Any pics?

sorry forgot to mention that the posts sit on a concrete base, the posts make the shed 4" above ground level which gives enough space for air circulation and can be keept clean of leaves etc

Nunfa1 said:
31bb3 said:

Any pics?
not yet had a few pc issues well noy had one but wil post some in the next few weeks

Apparently I'm allowed to convert our garage into a brewery (yay), unfortunately I need to find somewhere to store all the ***** that lives in there first (boo).
I suppose I could always try a novel approach and bin it all, trouble is I just know I'd need something as soon as I did.

I'm pleased to hear you still have a job Aleman, We've just reached the end of our 1 month consultation period and are soon to find out who's due the chop.... it's no fun.

Aleman, I've build a variety of sheds/dens/summer houses over the past 20 years. I always use an auger (lazy git that I am) to get a nice tidy hole between 18 and 24 inches deep, then drop 4" tannalised posts in with quick setting concrete. Leave the posts a bit higher than you need them and when everything is set, trim them with a laser level and a sharp handsaw. I usually set them at 4 or 5 ft centres, depending on the dimensions of the shed.

Don't worried about tannalised wood in contact with moisture, even underground. First shed base was in 1992. Shed was replaced in 2008, but the posts were still sound. Biggest project was a self build summer house and deck - 20ft x 20ft, it hasn't moved or dropped a millimetre in 4 years. (I know this because I forgot to adjust the level on the deck for runoff, and the water still puddles evenly across it :roll: )

Aleman said:
Who are you and what have you done with the real Alemam?? :eek:
You are too laid back.
The real Aleman doesn't ask questions or advice, and certainl doesn't make facetious comments.
No, I've changed my mind, you stay incumbent, forget where you put the other one! :D

Aleman said:
(Already thought of getting someone else to do the groundwork for me :evil: )

I've got an allotment that has soil just like that :nono:

I've missed this post completely, SWMBO has been hogging the PC

Thanks for all the advice . . . I weighed (and Priced) up quite a few options, and in the end decided to go with a concrete slab, So from this

Slab01.jpg

I went off and replace the fence at the bottom, and faced off the other fence. . . . Shuttering in place and dug out the topsoil . . . Being a little too keen I removed more soil than I needed to, so used some old bricks to raise the lowest end. Topsoil was trailered (8 Trailer loads!!) to a local farm :party:

Slab02.jpg

Two and a half tonnes of hardcore and half a tonne of sand as blinding later

Slab03.jpg

And today some nice gentlemen came and poured me a concrete slab

Slab04.jpg

Just got to wait for the concrete to cure and then the shed will be erected :party: can't wait :party: :party:

Aleman said:
. . . Being a little too keen I removed more soil than I needed to, so used some old bricks to raise the lowest end.

That always happens. When I was a kid my Dad decided to turn the very small front garden into a driveway. It was similar size to your shed slab. We removed some topsoil in trailers. Then we filled a couple of skips. Then we filled a couple more skips. Then some more. Finally it looked like we had gone down the 8 inches the guy who was laying the paviers had advised. He came back to check on the digging. One side was spot on 8 inches below final level, but we lived on a street with a steep slope and the other side was 30 inches below final level. Took 16 tons of hardcore to get us back up :wha:

I thought that was just a DIYers error until we got builders to build an extension on our last house. Man came with a digger to cut out the founds. I gave him the plans, which had already been marked out on the ground and went to work. Came back to find a very tidy but incredibly deep track cut out. Architect had specced everything in metric, but added imperial in brackets in case we had any old timers on the job. Digger guy saw 5ft, ignored the metric measurement and dug us a set of 5 meter foundations for a 4 meter tall building. Building control said we couldn't backfill it, and could only build on it if we filled it with concrete and let it cure for 8 months. The foundations cost more than everything else put together in the end....

So only needing a few brick for backfill..... makes you look like a pro :D

btw - what did you face the back fence with? (The one behind the spade handle in the 2nd pic) Looks very tidy.

edit - I mean - was it a panel or did you put it together yourself?

Having seen all your other builds, this shed is going to be something Special :cool:

Thornyhill said:
btw - what did you face the back fence with? Looks very tidy.
Thanks, It's 4" log Lap facing screwed onto a 3 by 2 timber frame measured to fit into the gap between the concrete posts - With a little bit of persuasion with a Manchester Screwdriver :D

Thornyhill said:
edit - I mean - was it a panel or did you put it together yourself?
I lost faith with ready made panels a couple of years ago they were always rotting blowing out and splitting, so I decided to do the job properly, and was wandering round our local timber merchants when I came across the log lap, its really good as it is tongue and grove so slots together, and gives a 'log' effect. . . . and its tanalised as well so should last a long time, and the frame it is screwed to is made from 3 by 2 tanalised timber as well

Expensive at 1.45 a meter though

Latest posts

Back