Brewnaldos brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just writing down my thoughts on a schedule for my next few brews, more so I remember it than anything else. The lager trail continues, but we are switching to liquid yeast. First up is GH Dortmunder export hopefully soon. This is made with liquid Wyeast Bohemian, which is currently in stage 2 of starter. 2.5 litres, 250g DME. This will be the healthiest liquid pitch I have ever grown.

From the trub, I intend to keep a big couple of spoonfuls in a jar. Half of which will be used again for lager, and the other half to make a tropical stout at warm temps, since I have grain for a big strong stout.

Next up, will be a warm fermented lager for taste comparisons.... Depending on how it performs, either using gen 3 of the liquid yeast, or using W34/70.

After all of that, a similar lager using Wyeast Hella Bock most likely.

A thing of beauty 😍

Attachments

• 20230121_082633.jpg
    20230121_082633.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 0
An easy brewday today, right in stoppage time of my week off work!

Dortmunder Export tucked up at 11 degrees with a hopefully big and healthy pitch of liquid yeast. Another thing this one will get is a warmer, longer D rest than previous brews. Possibly even commencing after just a week at 11. I really need to eliminate diacetyl from my lager.

A proper diacetyl test underway on my Dortmunder Export, no more half arsedness for me!

Attachments

• 20230130_153508.jpg
    20230130_153508.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 0
Just realised that today marks 4 weeks that my Dortmunder Export has been in the fv. Its had 2 weeks at -1. This is the most patient I've ever been and so I hope it pays dividends. Kegging tomorrow and a Kolsch brewery this week hopefully

Thats the Dortmunder Export kegged now. Tasted great out the FV and was crystal clear after all that time at -1. I also saved a jar of the yeast cake which probably amounted to a out half of it. I can't say until I taste properly but I can't see me returning to dry yeast for lager, on the evidence so far. Nothing I have brewed with dry has tasted that good out the FV.

How do we account for pitch rates when re using yeast?

Thats the Dortmunder Export kegged now. Tasted great out the FV and was crystal clear after all that time at -1. I also saved a jar of the yeast cake which probably amounted to a out half of it. I can't say until I taste properly but I can't see me returning to dry yeast for lager, on the evidence so far. Nothing I have brewed with dry has tasted that good out the FV.

How do we account for pitch rates when re using yeast?
Is this based on Dortmunder Union Export? I used to drink that in Germany back in the middle 80's. It was very popular in the Monchengladbach area but when I went back in 2000 it had completely disappeared.

Couldn't tell you pal. Just read the recipe in Greg Highes book and fancied giving it a try. Part of my lager improvement plan I'm on at the minute.

Is this based on Dortmunder Union Export? I used to drink that in Germany back in the middle 80's. It was very popular in the Monchengladbach area but when I went back in 2000 it had completely disappeared.
Dortmunder Union-Brauerei war der Name einer Brauerei in Dortmund. Sie gehört heute unter dem Namen Brauerei Brinkhoff zur Radeberger Gruppe.

Dortmunder Union Brauerei belongs to the Radeberger Group under the name of Brauerei Brinkhoff - BRINKHOFF’s No. 1 Premium Pilsener - BRINKHOFF's

You wouldn't have gone back for seconds of my Diacettelbräu.... Hence the recipe and transition to liquid yeast 🤣

You wouldn't have gone back for seconds of my Diacettelbräu.... Hence the recipe and transition to liquid yeast 🤣
You lost me at Dia. Then I googled it and you are absolutely right.:vomitintoilet: Life's a lot simpler here in Extractkitland :onechug:

Used to drink Dorty by the crate when I was working near Monchenladbach in the 80s. The lads used to arrive at my flat with a Dorty crate in hand most weekends (their admission fee). Once consumed, it was off to the Street of a Thousand Bars in Gladbach. Always started at the top of the street as it was easier to walk down hill after several beers. Great times

Used to drink Dorty by the crate when I was working near Monchenladbach in the 80s. The lads used to arrive at my flat with a Dorty crate in hand most weekends (their admission fee). Once consumed, it was off to the Street of a Thousand Bars in Gladbach. Always started at the top of the street as it was easier to walk down hill after several beers. Great times
Happiest of days. Don't suppose your flat was in Dorthausen? We are near neighbours, I'm in Forres.

Iv got the ingredients to make the CML killer kolsch recipe. I also have 2 x 1.2kg tubs of Rye liquid extract. I was thinking about lobbing 1 of them into the kolsch.

A quick Google suggests that Rye Kolsch is a thing.

Anyone got any thoughts or experience of similar?

As usual, the brewday comes long after the keg is finished, leaving several weeks with no homebrew available...

Still. It's on now. Killer Kolsch recipe from CML. Didn't order the kit as I already had some malt and all the hops I need but nevertheless, it's as per their recipe and might convince me to order their recipe packs if it turns out well.

Just kegged the Kolsch today in a brief window of spare time in the easter holidays. Now I need to challenge myself to ensure something is brewed within the time it takes for this to condition, and therefore be ready for the keg by the time its emptied. I never seem to manage that 😕

The CML Kolsch is finished and has now been replaced in the keg by an imperial stout. Flavoured with Vanilla (2 pods) and Hazelnut (foodie flavours.)

Out the FV I would say early.indication is that neither are really punching through. The stout itself didn't taste amazing, but I have learned not to judge out of the FV, and especially when up over 8%.

Wel see how this one conditions out

Latest posts

Back