Brewzilla pump plumbing bypass

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhlwilson

Reaction score
A Brewzilla Gen 4 arrived yesterday (thanks BKT!).

The internet tells me that folk, on occasion, get a blocked pump and solve this by draining via the tap. The Brewzilla arrives plumbed so that the wort runs through the pump before passing to either the tap or sparge/whirlpool arm. The instructions have details for relocating the pump to pass the wort to the tap before the pump so that that the boiler can be drained through the tap in case of a pump blockage.

Should I rejig the plumbing before using? Are blockages common? Any thoughts from other users?

Thanks!

Replumbing makes a lot of sense. I switched over my Gen 4 after suffering a blocked pump (hops) on my first brew and then struggling to drain through the tap. Haven't looked back. There doesn't seem to be any great advantage in having the pump in line with the tap.

I've since found it works best to use the hop spider if leaf hops are involved, but hop pellets are fine loose in the boil.

I've since found it works best to use the hop spider if leaf hops are involved, but hop pellets are fine loose in the boil.

Yup. I don't even think about it as a separate bit of kit any more. Mangrove jacks 800 micron. Brilliant. One size fits all.

According to some threads I've read no it doesn't and a lot of issues with blocked pipes for some people.
That would be a big one for me. What are you meant to do if it all blocks up? When my 3.1.1 dies (or if I thought I'd get a decent price for it) I would have gone for the G4. I really like the whole rapt system.

Does a wee blow into the recirculation arm not clear the G4 like with the 3.1.1? Sorry, I haven't seen the innards of the G4 yet.
On my first brew with my gen 4 to pump blocked a couple of times (new to the system and didn't have the bottom plate on the grain basket correctly 🤦) but a blow down the pipe sorted it each time. Re-plumbed the pipework but have not had a problem since

My gen4 35l has had one pump blockage, from start of boil pellet hops.
Normally use a spider, with revirculation through it for most of boil,and no probs. But on that occasion a friend 'helping' put the hops in while I was away, getting the spider.
A blow cleared it, but you wouldn't want to be doing that after 'flameout'.

So re-plumbing might make sense, especially if not using a spider.

I'm now thinking of putting a silicone hose on the tap, to act as a second recirculation path, going around outside of the malt pipe to circulate water from the dead space there (maybe 4l when filled to 27ĺ).
But that wouldn't work after a re-plumb.

At the moment I alternate the existing hose between recirculation through the mash, and being poked into one of the lifting holes.
I'll maybe do a separate post on this.

I don't use a hop spider, the hops are just thrown into the kettle, once the mash is finished the pump doesn't get turned on again. I drain the wort through a dip tube on the inside of the tap. I get no hop debris or hot break into my fermenter though, there will be some cold break which isn't a problem.
1702285144291.jpeg

My gen4 35l has had one pump blockage, from start of boil pellet hops.
Normally use a spider, with revirculation through it for most of boil,and no probs. But on that occasion a friend 'helping' put the hops in while I was away, getting the spider.
A blow cleared it, but you wouldn't want to be doing that after 'flameout'.

So re-plumbing might make sense, especially if not using a spider.

I'm now thinking of putting a silicone hose on the tap, to act as a second recirculation path, going around outside of the malt pipe to circulate water from the dead space there (maybe 4l when filled to 27ĺ).
But that wouldn't work after a re-plumb.

At the moment I alternate the existing hose between recirculation through the mash, and being poked into one of the lifting holes.
I'll maybe do a separate post on this.
Why are you using the pump during the boil? It is unnecessary and risks damaging your pump through cavitation, as well as subjecting it to extra wear and tear. I never use a hop spider and have had no blockages after over 40 brews in my BZ G.4. Running the pump during the boil will draw hop material into the pump. If you do not use the pump during the boil but allow the hop pellets to settle on the bottom screen for a few minutes after boiling you shouldn't have any problems.

Latest posts

Back