Broadband.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Are there any TalkTalk customers here that have moved to the new Fibre 65 package?

They have estimated my speed at between 60.0Mbps and 80.0Mbps with a minimum guaranteed speed of 50.7Mbps.

How does it compare to what you had before?

I know some members have had a bad time with TT please don't use the thread to slate them again, we have been with them for more than 10 years and are happy to renew, thanks.

tt.jpg

Last edited:
It's a bit misleading sometimes..I looked on line when I needed to renew my contract with EE. They were quoting "up to" whatever speed it was,same as BT but when I checked I could only get what I'm getting now,same with BT due to it only being fibre to the cabinet etc. The fastest would be with Virgin as we have fibre to the property boundary with them but didn't want to pay that much. I stayed with EE as they knocked a few quid a month off but I demanded the latest router which they sent. Initially it was suffering drop out (kids on Xbox) until I looked into things and isolated the 2.4/5khz band widths in the settings and made them separately visible on the network. This enables the kids to connect straight to the faster setting...it seems to be working.
Totally off subject but just highlighting you can't always get what they quote even if you want it!

Thanks Clint.

I have always got around 70 Mbps so know my line/connection is fine and the guaranteed 50Mbps is a bonus, I was looking at Sky as they were guaranteeing similar speeds for £26 but due to TT lowering the price to £24 and as we haven't had many problems over the years we decided to stay with them.

I have also been a TT customer for nearly 10 years and have been largely happy with them. I almost changed last year, after I slipped out of contract and went onto the more expensive default tariff for a month or two, but I think threre was a reason the company I nearly swapped to (Now) were cheaper and that is because they were a shower of *****. Not only did they get my package all messed up, but they nearly lost me the phone number that I have had for 20+ years.

I am on the basic fibre tariff and always get 37-38 MB/s, which is enough for my needs. I recently had an issue with a noisy crackly phone line, but is was resolved in a few days after a half hour phone call to TT, a similar issue I had a few years back when I was with BT took months to fix. Its always worth threatening to leave every year or so to negociate a better deal.

@MmmBeer

Better the devil you know thumb.

TT get a lot of stick but with 4.5 million customers they are always going to have unhappy ones especially when it comes to customer service i have always found live chat a good way of dealing with any issues i have had and to be honest they have been few and far between.

A good example of their customer service - We recently noticed speeds had dropped and after running a link check on their site we discovered there was a problem we later received the message below and speeds returned to normal the following day.

We're working on your fault

We’ve run a test and found a problem between the exchange and your home which needs an Openreach Engineer to fix.

We have booked the engineer who will be sent to fix the fault. You don't need to be at home and we will update you once they have completed the job.

We are working as fast as we can to fix the problem. It should be resolved in 2-3 working days.

The mother in law has Virgin fibre and phone and it's super fast..200mbs+ but when the broadband stopped working so did her phone!

That's a bit of a PITA we still have the landline as back up but its rarely used these days.

Clint is right.
Its always worth checking the router settings as its not often set to max speed at the factory.

The mother in law has Virgin fibre and phone and it's super fast..200mbs+ but when the broadband stopped working so did her phone!
A lot of providers are going down the voip phone line route now. I think virgin do still let you have a normal phone line installed, but you need a reason to request one.

It’s only my father in law that rings our home phone, everyone else rings our mobiles now.

Latest posts

Back