Brown Boots Beer barrel.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andyhull

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just received my £10 beer barrel off Gu***ee.
It's an old Boots one, very sturdily built and i think is's got the S30 top on it.
I have just cleaned it out with redhot water and Vircon but the PRV seems to be leaking.
The S30 valve and PRV are all in one not seperate.
Has anyone got this type and is there any service info for this type.

I am very chuffed at being the owner of my first Beer keg, the Wherry will be going in here.

Thanks

Andy

Im not kegging the Sundew, thats going in the PET's and im going to prime with 1tsp per 500ml bottle to add a bit of fizz to it as i'll be having it chilled out of the fridge as a hot summers day drink instead of lager!

Im kegging the Wherry, sorted the S30 now, i decided to strip it to see how it works.
It was the rubber band that stops the exess gas comming out, it was out of position and the valve was actually loose on the lid.

I will strip it again when i get home then rebuild it with vaseline on the rubbers and the washer seals, same with the tap.

Am i right in thinking i need 80g for kegging an ale?

Andy

That's what I would use, last brew I used 100 g and was slightly gassy. Make sure to Vaseline up the threads when you fill it too.

Thats it, i don't want the fizz to mask the flavour of the Wherry as it's a cracking pint.
I over carbed my last one in bottles, it was nice but could have been even better :drunk:

Can i just ask too, why are some barrels brown and others opaque/clear/white?

That would do but mines different, there is a nut on the outside with a metal collar that fits over the relief band with 2 holes in it oposite each other there is a flat plate with a rubber washer on the inside and the external nut tightens it all up, the whole valve is made of ally not brass.

I was just looking for the rubber replacements for it that was all!

Im also now wondering how im suposed to tell when it's getting empty as i can't see inside :wha:

If I remember rightly and we are talking over 20 years ago here.
The brown barrels were designed for cider as they normally require a much longer condition. As stated above it was to stop the light getting into the brew and make it skunky. At least that's what I remember the unicorn saying anyway. :wha:

It leaks :(
Im trying to lcate it but it's from the lid either where it screws on or where the S30 valve goes through.

Would i be ok to bottle from it?

Andy - sundew is one of the few 4% pale beers I'd suggest giving some time. I tend to drink basically out of the FV but after 2-3 months the obvious toffee (the same one you'll find with Wherry etc) wears off a bit leaving room for the hop, and it tastes much better. If possible, I'd suggest dry hopping with a nice summery aroma hop, goldings/cascade/centennial/saaz etc...I think it would improve it tenfold!

Remember, oxyclean if you need to remove any staining from your barrell - its really worth replacing the rubber washers on everything too, they can negatively affect the taste of the beer as they come into contact with it. :thumb:

Andyhull said:
Im also now wondering how im suposed to tell when it's getting empty as i can't see inside

When you suspect that you're near the bottom, gently tip up the back of the barrel and rest it on something (a piece of 2x1 ?) leave it a day or so to settle and you should get an extra couple of pints out of it.

:cheers:
Geoff

Latest posts

Back