Buffalo Boiler Reliability

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanUK

Reaction score
Hi all,

I attempted my first AG brew last weekend. It was all going well until my boiler died about 45 mins in to the boil.

I've managed to get it replaced but am considering getting this one modified to prevent it dying like the last one.

As I understand, bypassing the thermal fuse should stop this happening, just need to make sure there's always liquid inside it.

Do you think this is worth it?

How many people here use an unmodified Buffalo without any problems, and if so, how many brews has it managed?

I'd really prefer not to have to modify it but as the previous one died on its very first use, I'm reluctant to risk wasting another load of ingredients.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

I've seen a few using buffalo boilers and haven't had any issues just wondering if there's a thermostat to stop it constantly boiling ? Have you checked the element in the other one incase it burnt out was its new one ?

I've just done my #25 AG brew with my Buffalo, I changed the tap for a ball valve and fitted a hop filter.

I never modified the electrics in any way and never had a problem, I get a good rolling boil and it stays that way right through the full 90 minute boil :!:

31bb3 said:
I've seen a few using buffalo boilers and haven't had any issues just wondering if there's a thermostat to stop it constantly boiling ? Have you checked the element in the other one incase it burnt out was its new one ?

Hi,

Yes it has a thermostat but it cut out completely and wouldn't even power up when I tested it again the following day.

It may sound like a daft question but did you check the fuse in the plug?

Hi Dan,

I use a buffalo boiler, 30l job. In fact I use two of them (1 boiler, 1 HLT). At some point both of them cut out. The LED no longer lit up. The problem was the thermal fuse had blown. Checked plug fuse, fine. Sounds like you have the same problem.

I removed the thermal fuse and used a decent quality joining block to join the crimped ends. This was several brews ago and no problems since. You could always replace the fuse if you wanted, but I suspect it may well blow again. I gues that they aren't meant to be boiled continuously for 90mins at a time.

If you need any further info let me know.

DirtyC

I've done 8 AG's with mine with a new tap being the only modification, on AG#3 it cut out twice right at the end of the boil, I think it was just a particularly heavy build up of burnt on cack on the element. No problems since. :pray:

Aye the burnt on wort on the element will cause it to cut out or slow down some. Easily cleaned with a steel wool soap pad.

DirtyCaner said:
Aye the burnt on wort on the element will cause it to cut out or slow down some. Easily cleaned with a steel wool soap pad.

I've tried to avoid using steel wool. I'm thinking that it will roughen the surface and encourage more to burn on next time. I've found that if I leave the hops & other gunk in the bottom of the boiler for an hour or so after draining it seems to soften the burnt on stuff so I can get rid of it with a non-stick scourer which won't scratch the stainless.

Fair enough,

I must admit I tend to leave the boiler until the next day before cleaning it. I think I would struggle if I wasn't using the steel soap pad. No noticeable problems yet.

DC

Lemon juice works a treat for cleaning the element. Just squirt it on, leave a couple of minutes and then wipe clean.

Right, just checking. Is the thermal fuse I need to bypass the black bit underneath the grey sheath?

I'm going to get someone else to do it for me, just want to make sure I tell them the right bit to cut out :D

Under a grey fabric type sheath around the wire? Its a tiny wee metal cylinder in the middle of one of the wires and is between 2 crimp connectors.

I think I may be having the same problem...
After 5 brews with no problems, mine cut out toward the end of #6. I thought nothing more of it until today when it gave up the ghost after about 10-20 mins of the boil :(
Checked the fuse in the plug, no joy. Moved the thermal cut out, still nothing. It won't even switch on. No visual signs of anything amiss, so wondering if this thermal fuse is the guilty party.
How do I go about bypassing it? I'm ok when it comes to electrics but I kinda have to learn parrot fashion! And always best to be certain.
Cheers,
D.

I basically just removed the fuse and joined the 2 crimps together with one of those plastic joining blocks with the screws. Make sure you use a decent one. Bit of electrical tape round it and make sure its cable tied or taped out of harms way. Drop me a PM if your struggling.

DirtyC

I may need to bypass the thermal fuse on mine, the first use it was great strong boil all the way thorugh then the 2nd and 3rd kept cutting out for a few mins then back on again. I started blowing a desktop fan underneath which stopped it from cutting out. since then I have cut more vents to the bottom plate but haven't used it since. would it be worth bypassing the thermal fuse aswell then? thanks

Depends really. might not make any difference, mine still stops and starts a bit even without the fuse. I just removed it as it had stopped working.

will see how it goes next time I can get a brew on. I have a feeling it could be from all the dust from grain getting through the biab bag causing a bit of burning on the element. shouldn't get that problem from going 3v for the next one.

Latest posts

Back