Can I add/How do I add oak chips to beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyQul

Chairman of the Bored
Reaction score
This question pops up on a semi regular basis and was discussed in this thread

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=54587&highlight=chips

I think there is some good collective information about adding oak chips to beer so have copied and added the most relevant posts.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From what I have read about using oak chips it's a bit of hobsons choice as to whether to santises them or not. If you don't, you risk infection. if you do you. deplete/rinse/can't think of the right word the flavour extraction from the chips

Also haven't tried the oak chips but if they were sterile before being soaked in jd (bearing in mind it's 40% abv) they should be fine.

I'd say chucking the chips in Jack Daniels would be enough sterilisation.

You're aiming to get the effect of aging the beer in Jack Daniels barrels, I suppose. I've never tried this but I think you'd need to leave the beer in contact with the wood chips for quite a long time. If this were me I'd be thinking about aging the beer for 4 to 6 weeks at least. I wouldn't want to leave beer in a plastic container that long because plastic is permeable to Oxygen and you'd run the risk of oxidising your expensive beer.

If I were contemplating this I'd want a light colour beer so I could see the colour off the oak. I'd want a Strong ale, so that the beer would benefit from the maturation. I'd primary ferment for a week then rack the beer off into stainless steel or glass with the wood chips in (perhaps demi johns or a carboy) and I'd leave under an airlock for a long time before bottling. I, personally, would bottle if I'd made this much effort. If you do this take great care not to splash the beer around while racking or you might introduce Oxygen that way.

I have no idea what kit to use I'm afraid. I'm very much out of touch with modern ingredients.

I've never tried this but I think you'd need to leave the beer in contact with the wood chips for quite a long time..

Some kits have 'wood chips' in them. However the wood chips, as reported by other forumites are more like saw dust and so only need the normal brewing time for the beer to have enough contact with the 'chips' (larger surface area and all that). If the OP were to somehow grind his chips into sawdusts he could cut down the brewing time?

Another related question is: "My mate dave works in a timber yard/as tree surgeon/etc and can get me some wood chips. Can I use them"

AFAIK you can't use any old wood chips. Firstof all you need to consider that imber from wood yards is often treated with chemicals to preserve the wood.

Another forumite also stated, when this question was asked on a previous thread that only French and American Oak can be used for oak chips for beer

Some kits have 'wood chips' in them. However the wood chips, as reported by other forumites are more like saw dust and so only need the normal brewing time for the beer to have enough contact with the 'chips' (larger surface area and all that). If the OP were to somehow grind his chips into sawdusts he could cut down the brewing time?

My second brew was the Youngs Oaked Rum Ale. It really was a packet of saw dust. (And if you're not careful it doesn't half attack your lungs!)

They were in the FV from the start.(2 week fermentation). It made a very nice beer but I think it's a one you'd either love or hate.

My second brew was the Youngs Oaked Rum Ale. It really was a packet of saw dust. (And if you're not careful it doesn't half attack your lungs!)

They were in the FV from the start.(2 week fermentation). It made a very nice beer but I think it's a one you'd either love or hate.

And did you feel the oak/rum flavour came through from the 'chips'?

For a standard 5 gallon brew, 30g in the cask/PB/whatever is sufficient for a subtle oak aroma and flavour. Sterilise by steaming for 8 minutes and either add loose or in a hop sock. Condition for minimum 2 weeks before drinking. Be careful to watch out for the level of toast and whether they are standard oak, sherry, rum or others.

That kit very much tastes of rum. Not sure how much of that is attributable to the chips but they did smell very rummy.

Latest posts

Back