Can I Use This Chocolate Syrup?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bevvied

Life Support System For A Beer Belly
Reaction score
Would this stuff ferment out OK, or would it's ingredients cause some funky flavours?
http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/sain...serts/Lyles_Chocolate_Syrup_Squeezy_325g.html
The Ingredients..
Glucose-Fructose Syrup, Chocolate Crumb (Sugar, Milk Solids, Cocoa Mass), Sweet Condensed Milk, Water, Cocoa Powder, Modified Starch, Natural Flavourings

Shop close to me has it stocked v.cheap and if it looks like it'd work in a Stout kit I'll nab the lot.

Thanks.

Well the Glucose and Fructose and sugar in the chocolate crumb should ferment out fine. The fat in the chocolate crumb, condensed milk and cocoa powder will kill your head retention and having a layer of oil/fat floating on your beer after fermentation can cause the beer to go rancid.

As for the rest of the indredients I don't know

Well the Glucose and Fructose and sugar in the chocolate crumb should ferment out fine. The fat in the chocolate crumb, condensed milk and cocoa powder will kill your head retention and having a layer of oil/fat floating on your beer after fermentation can cause the beer to go rancid.

As for the rest of the indredients I don't know

Thanks very much for answering.
'Rancid' pretty much kills this idea then!

I wouldn't bother either , like MyQul says the soya milk I think could give it an oily texture and I am not sure how that would mature..

To improve a stout kit I would just stick to steeping some grain but not too much.. you could do a mini mash with some pale malt and some roasted barley and maybe some chocolate.. mash boil add to your kit in the FV and top up.

Latest posts

Back