Can someone explain what a Hops Schedule is please ... to me an eeejit. TIA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitch

Regular.
Reaction score
Morning team.

I've searched the forums and the interweb and im struggling to find out what / how a HS works. So I apologise.

I'm intending to make a clone of St Austell's PJ beer but I've really confused myself as to how a HS works.

So you do the mash bit first. I get that. Then you add the hops but I don't understand the timings or the order in which you add.

Its probably me. Too fik to be here.. I will get my coat.

So you do the mash bit first. I get that. Then you add the hops but I don't understand the timings or the order in which you add.
Probably a silly question, but you also know you remove the grains after the mash. You would usually rinse them to remove sugar as well (called a sparge) unless you are doing the a no-sparge method.

The hop schedule should be self explanatory although a couple of things can be confusing. If it says a 60mins addition that means you boil for 60mins(ie the whole boil), 45min addition means you boil for 45mins etc. Anything that refers to flameout means you add at the end of the boil - some people add them and chill straight away (that’s what I do), others will reduce the temperature to <80C and add the hops for 20mins or so before chilling to pitching temp.

Hi Mitch, if your hs is 60mins 15mins 5 mins, 60mins means your first hops go in at the start of the boil they are for bittering the 15mins go in with 15mins left of a one hour boil these are aroma hops the 5 mins ones go in at with 5mins left if you have any that state flame out they go in when you turn the heat off,

Must admit when I started AG I found it a bit confusing as well. So basically all the timings given are from the END OF THE BOIL, not from the beginning. Basically the longer a hop is in the boil the more it contributes to bitterness and less to flavour/aroma as these are broken down in the boil. So a 60 minute addition is mostly for bitterness, a 0 minute addition gives very little bitterness but lots of flavour/aroma.

Probably a silly question, but you also know you remove the grains after the mash. You would usually rinse them to remove sugar as well (called a sparge) unless you are doing the a no-sparge method.
Hi @MickDundee Yep I got that bit at least right. im only making small AG kits atm and they come with a grain bag which makes it easier at the end of the mash. And instruction enough to sparge... oooo ark at me all mashin n spargin. I feel like im picking it all up!

Hi Mitch, if your hs is 60mins 15mins 5 mins, 60mins means your first hops go in at the start of the boil they are for bittering the 15mins go in with 15mins left of a one hour boil these are aroma hops the 5 mins ones go in at with 5mins left if you have any that state flame out they go in when you turn the heat off,
TY @Rodcx500z I think I finally get it. Maybe I will post up my intended recipe and my interpretation of it for a final cross check.

Back