Can you leave a Quick Disconnect not attached?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

folkpunk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've taken the plunge and built a kegerator with a twin Corny set. It has a y splitter which supplies the Gas to two Cornys via Quick Connect. Can I leave one keg attached and the second quick connect disconnected or should both quick connects be attached whilst the gas is on? (I only have one keg filled at the moment)

Technically yes, but if you're like me and have threaded John guest to disconnect adapters you'd make sure you don't have any leaks first!

If you have a leak it will leak regardless of whether the disconnect is connected or disconnected. (I really hope you are reading this sober 😂)
Yeah I can't detect anything leaking so fingers crossed. Actually seemed to go together quite well looked a bit intimidating at first but all makes sense now.

If you have a leak it will leak regardless of whether the disconnect is connected or disconnected. (I really hope you are reading this sober 😂)
If all the connections are good you should be ok, except if the poppet seal within the disconnect is leaking. You wouldn't know that while it is connected to the keg because the poppet would be open anyway. So for extra security when not connected to a keg, connect it to a small pet bottle with a carbonation cap and that should seal everything.

I have an extra gas disconnect in my kegerator on a longish bit of gas line that I use for purging kegs after filling so I don't have to manhandle the keg into the fridge to do so. As I had heard that disconnects can leak under pressure if the poppet hasn't closed properly the extra disconnect is attached to a shut off valve so that I can turn off the gas to it when not in use: Inline Shut Off Valve 3/8" - 3/8"

The valve is useful to me anyway for purging as I can hook up the keg, valve on to blast with CO2, valve off, lift pressure relief valve on Corny, and repeat several times.

I have an extra gas disconnect in my kegerator on a longish bit of gas line that I use for purging kegs after filling so I don't have to manhandle the keg into the fridge to do so. As I had heard that disconnects can leak under pressure if the poppet hasn't closed properly the extra disconnect is attached to a shut off valve so that I can turn off the gas to it when not in use: Inline Shut Off Valve 3/8" - 3/8"

The valve is useful to me anyway for purging as I can hook up the keg, valve on to blast with CO2, valve off, lift pressure relief valve on Corny, and repeat several times.
That's a great idea - I'll see if I can get one.

Latest posts

Back